Bright - Elves, Orcs, Humans living together with Cats & Dogs

Oh, I get it. I know why many movies do this kind of thing. No thanks. I don’t need it or want it. I enjoy movies when they assume I’m actually watching the movie instead of glancing up between live tweets.

That was probably my first or second biggest complaint - the heavy and repetitive hand with which it hammered certain things home.

On the other hand, I can totally imagine several of my less attentive friends asking “but how could he hold the wand?” and thinking it is a stupid broken show.

Everyone knows that a one-in-a-million chance is a sure thing

Elan: A 10% chance is pretty unlikely, but everyone knows that a one-in-a-million chance is a sure thing!
Vaarsuvius: sigh
Vaarsuvius: And once again, Probability proves itself willing to sneak into a back alley and service Drama as would a copper-piece harlot.

What really bothered me was how in this universe they could possibly have collected reliable statistics on human wand-use-ability. Was there some cruel scientist condemning hundreds of thousands of humans to death-by-explosion one by one until one lucky soul could actually hold the wand and proceeded to blow up the whole complex? Actually, they should make a movie about that.

I find it amusing that its not the elf overlords, the dark magician named SARGON, or, you know, the MAGIC that bothers you - Its the math! :-D

I am (mostly) joking about it bothering me. Lots of stuff doesn’t make sense if you think about it a bit. I don’t think the existence of magic in fiction bothers me either, though I do have a strong preference for logically coherent “magic systems” like Brandon Sanderson tends to write.

Following the success of “Bright,” Netflix is moving forward with a sequel. Will Smith and Joel Edgerton are attached to reprise their roles, with David Ayer returning to write and direct the second installment.

Writer Max Landis won’t be back for the next film. Eric Newman and Bryan Unkeless are set as producers.

Normally I would be worried about the change in scriptwriter but considering Max Landis’ issues and the script being one of the weakest parts of the movie it seems like a positive sign here.

They don’t say the true rate, they just said the observed, current rate of supermages in the universe. The reason it’s not higher is because very few people test themselves cuz they blow up. This is alluded to in the movie.

Anyway, movie still sucked.

But we know from the laws of drama that the true rate is in fact one in a million. If it was only one in a hundred or so, Will Smith would have splattered.

Everyone knows that a million to one chance succeeds nine out of ten times.

It’s the thousand to one chances that screw you.

You take that back. Wild Wild West is a goddamn national treasure.

Also, like, maybe the first AAA steampunk movie. That’s gotta count for something, right?

And yes, 1/1,000,000 chances succeed in movies as often as 94% shots fail in XCOM.

Saw Bright over the last two nights and rather enjoyed it. Not movie of the year or anything, but it’s my third favorite!*

* I’ve only seen four new-to-2017 movies, one of which was Logan, which I loathed, so Bright wins! Yay

It was really weird to realize during this movie that Will Smith is not actually completely immune to aging.

You are a weird, weird man for preferring Bright to Logan.

I mean, I liked it and all, but, man.

I really hated Logan. I raged about it for a good chunk of time in the appropriate thread. And also tried to convince @ChristienMurawski to watch Clue. I wonder if he ever did ;-)

I don’t even…

Well, something like that would never happen!

It also assumes that “Shrek-lookin’” is a slam. Maybe it’s actually a compliment to an orc! “You don’t look like those other orcs. You got that Shrek thing going!”

I am going to defend Bright. I want to see Bright 2, Bright 3, Bright 4, Bright 5 and then Bright vs. Sharknado!

Shrek is an Ogre, not an orc. Do ogres exist in this world?