Bright - Elves, Orcs, Humans living together with Cats & Dogs

I just did not dig end of watch… it just hit me wrong for some reason.

I’m gonna watch this movie though, because there are tons of movies I like that most other folks don’t.

The advantage of Netflix making a movie is that the only thing you’re committing if you decide to check it out is your time. And even there, you can stop watching anytime you want and move immediately on to doing something else.

Yeah, I was really enamored with End of Watch. I just friggin’ loved that movie so much. My favorite buddy cop movie of all time.

I also really loved some scenes in Fury. Overall, I felt like it strayed from what could have made it a classic, but I loved that it provided a somewhat gray view of the morality of the allied soldiers in their day to day moments in the War. I loved that they were sooooooo mad at their commander for not letting them rape to their heart’s content, as if they deserved it for all the shit they had to go through. I just loved those scenes.

True, but reading the overall flavor of the reviews, it sounds like playing Grim Dawn or Wolfenstein 2, or watching Futurama on Netflix before it goes away on Jan 30 will be a better use of my limited entertainment time.

Indeed. I’ll happily give it a chance during my Christmas time off.

Ok. This movie is the Fifth Element set in the world of Shadowrun.

(except not funny and boring.)

This wasn’t terrible. Had some pacing problems, and some other issues. Uneven world-building. Did some things well.

Not as Shadowrun-y as I had hoped.

Yeah that’s kind of how I saw it. Less humor than I expected and if you’ve seen the trailers, you seen all of the funny bits. It came off more of a allegory on race issues than anything else.

Does the director only know how to direct one kind of movie?

Hahaa, trick question. Yes, since Suicide Squad didn’t have any direction.

I mean… I thought it was pretty good.

Then again I’m going to lean towards it because it’s basically Shadowrun the Early Years the Movie.

A little heavy-handed on the race allegories at times, but hardly terrible. It has some decent world-building and some cool stuff in it.

So the orcs sided with the Dark Lord 2000 years ago, and have been history’s whipping boys ever since. I feel like they’re trying to tell me that the orcs are an allegory for how the world treats the Jews. And that’s just not doing it for me.

Shadowrun’s magic stuff didn’t start in the world until the 2017, and by the time the game takes place, everything is falling apart. Bright is much more cowardly in its depiction. Untold thousands of years with magic, and that’s the amount of impact it has had? Elves are movie stars? Orcs are street gangs of Jews?

Lame.

I get the impression magic basically disappeared with the Dark Lord. Hence why almost no one has ever seen it or can use it and when they hear about it they’re basically: “Holy shit, it’s fucking magic.”

And I don’t think Orcs are Jews, they’re an allegory for black people if anything.

So is this a Netflix exclusive, or is it coming out on all digitial outlets like iTunes or Google play. Will they even be bothered to put it on bluray/dvd?

Netflix exclusive.

I gave this a go but got bored after a bit. I like the idea but thought the execution was really mediocre.

You can buy House of Cards on iTunes or Blu-ray, certainly possible Bright will get a “home” release at some point. But yeah, certainly exclusive to Netflix for now.

Same! Cross-posting from the thread in Books, comics, TV, music;

Elf:
+4 Dexterity
Elven weapon proficiency
magical affinity

This was interesting. I’ll avoid spoilers as much as I can, but I’ll certainly provide some advice; pay attention to the surroundings, even when it seems like just a random nothing thrown in to look gritty.

Racism, distrust of police, the 99% …

“If you act like my enemy, you become my enemy”

Strong messages throughout the movie. Heavy-handed as can be at times, but never without a flourish and some excitement.

Orc:
+6 Constitution
detect scent

An interesting aside in this was how it painted oppression. So much of this was done a million times over in previous films, but the fantasy trappings hopefully stop eyes from glazing over quite so quickly.

“What the f#$% do you want to die for a world that doesn’t give a #@$% about you?”

And history. History matters. Culture matters. Wrongs of the past matters. But so does the individual, the one who simply says “No” and stands up for their beliefs. We know this; the film teaches nothing we haven’t heard before, but it has so much fun delivering the message.

“I dunno. I still think it’s kinda cool”

And I’ll be damned, but this was a heck of a fun ride. I agree with demagogue, that it would be a great series. SO much potential went untapped, but only in the way that I hope for a sequel/series.

Human:
luck
bonus feat

So if you’re on the fence, give it a try and ignore those negative reviews. Like it or not on its own merits.

I can see why some people think streaming services dabbling in movie making like Netflix are destroying the cinematic experience. It is unlikely it will ever be screened in a cinema, unless for eligibility reason for movie awards.

Cinemas are destroying the cinematic experience.