Bright - Elves, Orcs, Humans living together with Cats & Dogs

Elves are insanely agile badasses. Also stronger than humans. Unless it’s the main characters then they’re less fast and strong, but that’s most media in these kinds of shows/movies.

I mean, they pretty much always showed elves as being crazy agile acrobat badasses, so it was internally consistent.

Pretty much. It’s Shadowrun Nation of the Rings (or Wands as it were). Which I’m fine with.

+1 DEX yo.

Nah, they just get +1 to hit with swords and bows.

I mean in the show. :P

They’re more like Lord of the Rings Elves, which are… just better than humans at basically everything.

Nah, lotr elves and D&D elves are basically the same, as D&D was made based on lotr.

The elves aren’t stronger than humans, they’re just more agile and graceful, coupled with the fact that they live so long they have lots of time to get really good at everything.

At least, I don’t recall them ever specifically being described as strong.

It was mostly that the young elf basically never did anything normally when she could do it acrobatically- go through a door? Parkour through the window instead! Climb off the the hood of the car you were sitting on? Why not do a double front flip? And so on. It wss kind of hilarious. And awesome.

To appreciate this movie, you need to be one of us who can geek out about elves in LOTR and DnD.

Yeah, the plot wasn’t great, but the movie gains a lot of bonus greek cred for its subject matter. I liked it. Here’s hoping the sequel is better.

I quite liked the show overall, warts and all.

Can’t help thinking instead of just magic, they could have balanced it with orcs strong (like Warcraft strong, more than the human but ugly here), elves fast and magicky and humans science and MUTANTS. That would have resulted in Anchorman-level of epic fight scenes.

Just in case anyone missed it, writer/exec producer Max Landis is apparently a piece of shit sexual assault artist so I feel better about not liking this.

Yeah, turns out everyone in hollywood is, so…?

Yeah, that’s how I felt about it. Story so-so but I like the world they created. We didn’t really see all the races either, I think. I am pretty sure I saw a centaur briefly. Maybe they can add dwarves.

The mentioned dwarves at one point.

This sums it up for me as well. I went in expecting it to be worse, honestly. Ended up kinda enjoying it, despite its many flaws.

Based on the strength of the action scenes alone this can’t be that bad. As previously mentioned, the way the car was used as the centerpiece of the gas station interior showdown was pretty epic!

I also liked the idea of magic as a sort of nuclear weapon, and the conceit that the Lord of the Rings (ish) “united the nine armies and defeated the dark lord” actually happened 2,000 years ago and we just built skyscrapers and computers on top of that.

I have a friend that is a script writer in LA, in the business for 20 years, has worked on some biggies. He has told me that the script never survives films with A list celebs, as they believe they are better at writing scripts so they make It up as they go and demand it stays. They see the script as a guide…

To be fair, I chuckled

Well in this case that fairy line is one of the most quoted from the movie, so I guess Will Smith’s instincts were good.

Why do you geek out about elves in LOTR and DnD? Aren’t they the most boring characters? They’re all like Spock, basically, except they’re not half human, so they’re not as interesting as Spock. I guess they’re more like Spock’s father.

There are half-elves in D&D, aren’t there? I think there are about half-anything in D&D.

Elves and orcs are idealized aspects of humans. Aspirations, if you wish, in opposite ends of the spectrum. In Lord of the Rings they come with massive lore, that has enormous significance, which is always interesting to see come to love.