Bright - Elves, Orcs, Humans living together with Cats & Dogs

Well, I didn’t read the indices or anything, when I read the Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy, I thought the elves were the most boring characters.

I thought the elves were the most interesting and tragic race. An immortal race whose numbers dwindled as they came to the aid of Man each time, their politics having to consider the long game of centuries or millenia, while men demanded action over the consequences of a few short years or decades.

Elves aren’t like Vulcans. They aren’t unemotional or anything. They did like… Most of all the heroic stuff ever, with the most heroic humans generally being descended from elves.

Yes, but they are different. Basically like… crappy elves.

In LOTR, half elves get to choose if they want to be elves or men, which is where you get Elrond and Elros, where Elrond became an elf, and Elros became a man. That’s part of the significance of Arwen and Aragorn getting together, as it was a reunification of those bloodlines.

God, that must be so frustrating! It would be pretty tough to argue against stars terrible script suggestions since their involvement is so instrumental to securing funding and making the film a reality.

Watched it on the drive down to my grandma’s house (thanks, Netflix mobile download!). It’s not amazing or anything but I feel like the negativity of the critical reaction is a bit overblown. It seems like a serviceable action blockbuster to me, with scripting that’s heavy handed but functional, a decent if familiar plot and structure, and some cool action scenes and ideas. I maybe would have preferred if someone other than Will Smith were the lead since he’s basically just being Will Smith, but it’s not the end of the world. Definitely much better than Suicide Squad, and I liked bits of that.

Yeah it is a hell of a lot better than Suicide Squad. That was atrocious.

You can do a lot worse than Will Smith being Will Smith in an action movie. I didn’t mind him. However…

I have to say the ending, with the bad girl getting killed and then coming back to life to beat Will Smith and his orc partner to within an inch of their lives…was Hollywood stupid. You got the magic girl dead, but you know she’s magic, so cut off her head, or put another 50 bullets into her, stake her, etc. And magic girl, you come back to life and kick ass? Kick a tiny bit more ass and actually kill the two officers! Not that I want you to win, but damn, why be so stupid!

It was some good dumb fun. I do feel bad for Netflix stepping in it a bit greenlighting a sequel right before the Max Landis sexual misconduct stories broke.

They can probably replace him fairly easily.

Which, if he was responsible for the screenplay, replacing him isn’t a bad thing.

I watched this last night and enjoyed it. Take it for what it is, a buddy cop movie with orcs. Lethal Weapon isn’t exactly fine art either but it was fun to watch.

This would make for a good series. Will Smith would never do it.

Probably not but I was surprised that Kevin Spacey did a Netflix series.

I really enjoyed this movie. Was it amazing filmmaking? Of course not. But as the first real ‘Shadowrun’ style movie we’ve gotten I thought it was well done. I’m looking forward to future installments.

This cost $90 million to make? Orcs as hip hop heads? Elves as corporate ninjas?

Errrrmmm. Was there a big setpiece battle I missed? Was that all VFX budget on the wand stuff?

Give me control of $90 million, Will Smith, and a few writers from this forum, and I’ll show you a movie. This felt like a made for TV SyFy channel movie.

Whoever made Strange Days should get a budget and Shadowrun carte blanche.

I felt the same way. It was okay for that, but as a $90 million Will Smith movie, the effects were pretty underwhelming.

I liked it, it is an amalgamation of lot of other stuff (mostly Training Day/End of Watch mixed with Shadowrun) but it was still pretty novel, I liked the worldbuilding and the somewhat understated humor. Smith and Edgerton were both great. I would be up for a sequel.
Noomi Rapace was also great here. She and the agent elf guy are so fitting as elves :)

SyFy originals would never manage the car chase stuff in this movie.

They probably had to give $40 million of that budget to Will Smith.

Yeah, I bet he got a big chunk. You won’t get him in a straight to streaming movie cheap.