Bright - Elves, Orcs, Humans living together with Cats & Dogs

As an avid fan of Shadowrun, I had to see this. While there are definitely a lot of problems with the movie, I really liked it and am super thrilled they’ve already greenlit a sequel. I hope they will turn this into a series eventually!

Introducing the world’s background through graffiti was a neat idea and seemed very fitting.

A lot of people criticize Shadowrun for having fantasy races in a cyberpunk setting. Jordan Weisman, one of Shadowrun’s creators, once mentioned that having fantasy races allowed them to address racism and discrimination in their world building, without getting caught up in the ugliness of real world politics. Bright may be a bit heavy handed in places, but I think it follows that general idea. The elven district was fantastic, so were the orcs! :-)

I can’t believe Shannon was in a movie with critic quotes containing the word “heartwarming”

Well, he was in Groundhog Day, too.

…what.

Edit: Huh. How about that. He played “Fred”. I do not remotely recall who that is.

This guy, apparently

I’m bothered by the date tracking in that little explanatory video. “In the 18th century…” and then it shows a date: 1860. Whoever wrote it either doesn’t know how the calendar works or thinks you don’t. Either way, it’s a bad sign.

-the video did decreased my interest in the world-

Holy shit. That sure is Michael Shannon, looking way less craggy, intense and weird than he does these days.

I prepared for the worst after reading this thread. Prepared for Will Smith to mail it in and half ass it, and for it to have awful dialogue.

Jen and I watched it t bring in the New Years and though it started terribly. The more I saw the orc cop and got to know him the more I liked the movie and Will Smith did just fine after the opening 15-20 minutes.

What I didn’t like was the use of the f word which felt forced in many of the earlier conversations, and then the cop beating scenes. In light of police shooting unarmed innocent people it just made me cringe,

But overall, movie was better than Inthught it would be.

The cop beating scenes were quite meant to be uncomfortable to watch. Orks are of course whatever people you want to insert being oppressed throughout times.

My daughter commented that the movie was a tough one to watch, and I actually kinda like that - the first 20 minutes were quite rightly somewhat uncomfortable to watch, due to the oppression and…racism/specisism.

Yeah, no kidding. I’m so glad they didn’t stick that in the start of the movie or something.

Btw, I did watch the final 40 minutes of the movie, and they weren’t as good as the first two Acts, but it was still decent. Overall I loved how they hinted at biblical stakes, life and death, and yet kept it a story of two cops having a bad night.

@Rock8man Can I ask why you split up a movie like that? Personally, I find that this ruins any kind of rhythm and flow that the movie tries to instill in you . I find that watching a movie all the way through, without having to check facebook, messageboards and so on enhances the experience immensely. I have way to many collegues who try to tell me about this and that movie being silly, when it turns out they missed a lot due to looking at phones/ipad and what have we during it.
The reason I bring that up, is that it to me is something akin to splitting the movie up, but I’m guessing you have good reason to do this? Just curious! :-)

I can’t speak for @Rock8man, but I do it all the time. Very limited free time, plus small children, means it is not uncommon for it to take me a week to watch a movie.

I have a newborn at home. He’s only 8 months old, so I get my gaming and my TV and my movies in smaller chunks wherever I can fit them, while still trying to get my sleep. :) So on the first night, I watched about 30 minutes before heading to bed, on the second night about 40 minutes, and then the third night about 40 minutes were left at the end.

I agree that not splitting up a movie is better. But since I’ve had to do this a lot lately, I have to admit that it has it’s own charms. For example, if a movie has a bad ending, if you watched it in one sitting, that bad endings overpowers the rest of the movie completely. But if you watched it in chunks, then you can separate it in your own mind and say, well, on Night 1, 2, 3, I had a great time, but Night 4 was terrible.

This is why the wife and I started watching TV shows instead of movies. Now we like them better and rarely actually watch any movies. It’s weird because I used to watch pretty much every major movie of the year.

Of course - that makes perfect sense! I was kinda curious because I’ve discovered that watching primarily shows for a longer time, makes it hard to watch an entire movie.

Thanks for explaining!

You know what’s really terrible? It’s when a movie doesn’t trust the audience enough to remember a plot point during the climax that was harped on throughout the movie. “Normal humans can’t touch the wand!” we’re told repeatedly. Only especially rare humans have that ability, but the only way to know is to risk your life trying. Then, to drive the point home, a human is shown exploding after grabbing the wand. Finally, the evil elf woman drops the same exposition during the final fight. Gee, I wonder how this will end?

Like, no shit, movie. We get it. Will Smith’s character is obviously the one in a million special human that can use the wand hinted at early on in the story. Bravo.

If you speak orc, at some point theres a dialog where they told you Ward is special. For good or bad, is a movie about the Chosen One.

Have you MET people? Just look up, and see how many people are seeing movies today in segments. How many people do you know, who check their facebook and miss stuff during movies? I know a lot of these - So, I think sadly that movies kinda do this to keep people updated on the important stuff, in case they missed it earlier, or if its been a while since they saw the previous part of the movie.

I know that Netflix has a lot of this kind of metrics, so I really doubt that this is done mistakenly.

Exactly! We already knew it from there.