Brilliant Box Office Bombs

I mean, it didn’t sink without trace, even if it was a commercial failure. It’s widely recognised as a fantastic film.

Looking at the box office info, I guess it didn’t actually lose money, but I feel Last Action Hero was unfairly maligned and deserved at least a little more success.

Yeah, it has definitely enjoyed posthumous recognition, critically speaking. But at the time, and for some years after, it was like it came and went and barely happened. I’m trying to pinpoint when the reappraisal started. DVD release in the late aughts, maybe?

Me too - it was the first DVD I ever purchased.

As someone who saw it in the theater despite being a poor college student, I feel like Last Action Hero was not maligned enough. It needed to be more maligned so that past me wouldn’t waste his money.

That’s okay. We all have our flaws.

Definitely!

I liked what the movie was trying to do (point out the difference between real life violence versus movie violence that kids see and glorify on tv).

I think it does a fantastic job poking fun at 80s/90s action film tropes. The little kid is a weak spot, but Schwarzenegger is clearly having a ton of fun. And it has Charles Dance and Tom Noonan as a wonderful pair of villains!