Broadway: "Hamilton"

Pretty much all my kids can sing along to a lot of the songs now, too. Except Lafayette’s, of course.

Everyone on NPR seems to love it. Between the elections, the new west wing podcast and this, I feel like I need to form my own party.

They’ve announced the show will tour in Chicago at the end of this year, LA and SF and Portland (so far) in 2017/18. I think I read 5 months in each of those first three places…

Hamilton wins Pulitzer for Best Drama

As much as I like the sound track (and as much as I have spent on tickets for my obsessed family who has still not yet seen it), I’m getting a bit tired of the fawning over this musical. Maybe Pulitzer has given drama awards to musicals before, I don’t know…but it seems odd to me. I read that Michelle Obama called it the best work of art she had ever seen in her life…EVER SEEN. For crying out loud.

It’s a good musical. It’s done some new things. It’s loosely based on a historical figure. They deserve to get filthy rich off of it. It’s going to be on Broadway for a decade or more but so was Cats.

Looks like Rent won in 1996 and another musical in 2010.

Continuing the obsession, I got the “Hamiltome”–the book about the musical–since it was so reasonably priced on Amazon. This is the big thick, beautiful book with all the lyrics, tons of photos, and lots of short essays about the production and the people involved. I recommend it if you’re as into the thing as I am.

Yep, my daughter wanted that for her birthday, so now she has it (and 2 tickets for August 2016)

That is unfortunate.

So, the soundtrack (which is on google play) is effing fantastic.

Is there anything better than “Do you know who I am?” to mark you as a douche?

California tech billionaire and frequent “Shark Tank” guest Chris Sacca showed up at the Richard Rodgers Theatre last Thursday with two tickets he bought on StubHub.

But when a scanner determined the tickets were counterfeit, and he and wife Crystal English were turned away, Sacca began flapping his jaws.

“Do you know who I am?” Sacca thundered repeatedly, according to an eyewitness, a Broadway theater worker who requested anonymity.

“He was getting really angry at the ticket scanner,” the tipster said, and speaking in “a really condescending way. “He said he was a ‘shark’ on ‘Shark Tank’ and warned it wouldn’t be good if they couldn’t get in.”

Innit?!?

I kind of hate things like this though too, because broadway shows often become “must-see” for status-seekers. Imagine how many tech-bros would just want to hop in, take a selfie with a program and head out to a bar. Ticket resales on ticketmaster are like 800+ bucks for Mezzanine seats like 3 months out. It is how they make their money, but it limits the audience to a lot of rich people who don’t care, and the people that do love musicals have to drop a large chunk of change to see the show (though, usually those people get in before shows reach this status)

Though, I do like that they have subsidized student tickets for 10 bucks,

Hamilton’s producers have made a pledge to allow 20,000 New York City public high school students from low-income families to get subsidized tickets to see Hamilton on Broadway by reducing their tickets to $70 for students, and the Rockefeller Foundation provided $1.5 million to further lower ticket prices to $10 per student

That is pretty awesome though.

Wow… this soundtrack is fantastic. I was pleased to find it on Apple Music.

It’s also on Amazon Prime Music. Great stuff, and some bits are very catchy. Be warned.

Yeah, the election of 1800 has been stuck in my head for the last 3 days. It’s actually quite distracting.

I have various bits from Hamilton on a constant loop in my head.

However, for some reason, my wife and I both are constantly forgetting the lyrics to the “I am not throwing away my shot” chorus. I’ll be absent-mindedly singing while making dinner or whatever, and I always stumble over it. “Not going to miss my shot? No, that’s not it. Not going to lose my shot? No, that’s not it either.”

“Honey, what the hell is he going to do with his shot?” has become a common exchange for us, which is bound to get us some odd looks in public.

As a matter of fact, I had to look it up again just to quote it here. I might be broken.

I definitely sang “not giving away my shot” for an embarrassingly long time.

“One last time” is a reframe that floats though my head, when it’s not 1800.

How has no one posted Batlexander Manilton? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rYv2xUijII

Thank you for that.

so…it won all the tonys or something?