Broken Forum vanished

I would vote that we start with a user ignore option.

I’ve seen that in action on Broken Forum and I have to warn you it may not be the panacea you think it will be.

This makes a lot more sense to me than your original thread bump. Maybe it’s because I’m dense, but while your explanation is actually a good point, I didn’t get there without your explanation.

Maybe this would have been a better way to bump the thread.

What’s wrong with ignore? It seems like there are a lot of folks that want that feature.

Broken Forum is not a typical forum. And if anything, it’s the community moderation that makes it atypical.

Ignore has been used and appreciated in lots of other places. Including QT3 v1.

Given the demographics here, I’m not sure what the actuarial table say about the users being around many more decades. :D

GHey! I’m pretty sure I’ve got a good decade left in me! OK, maybe not a good decade exactly.

That is more of a question of how many incoming new users you have and retain. Without any influx of new users, a community is dead and just doesn’t know it yet. I am not worried about that here because registrations were reopened and spammers are easily dealt with by the software and flags.

I personally feel the quality of posting has always been fairly high here and quality content will attract quality people over time.

(Also, thanks to those of you who do flag spam, it is very helpful, please keep it up!)

I am not saying it shouldn’t exist, I am saying that wishing people into a cornfield only gets you so far.

Huh, I thought you were once opposed to enabling ignore in forum software. Did I misinterpret you or did you change your mind?

I think there are some valid time-boxed / location-boxed scenarios for it, like you want to take a break from Joe for a week, or take a break from Joe’s political rants in the P&R category for a week. Where I don’t like it is when it is a blanket “this person ceases to exist” as the only, nuclear option provided.

Wait do you have a button that can make another user cease to exist?

Well you may not, but…

Interesting that when I opened the thread it went to a post I had made in 2014. Since then Lum at BF suspended me, re-instated me and then after awhile I asked him to delete my account.

I think only cowards use the ignore button. :)

This is something I see a fair amount of so I have to ask: why request to have your account deleted? Couldn’t you just, I don’t know, stop visiting the forum? I made an account as well back when those guys split off, hung around a bit and got a feel for the place, but eventually I kind of felt like I only really had room in my life for one gaming forum so I just kind of stopped going there. I still check in from time to time but it never occurred to me to request closure, so I’m kind of curious what motivates that.

Eventually I started only going to BF for the entertainment forum and the gaming forum. Mostly the gaming forum. I had stopped doing any political stuff there.

Anyway, if you have played Dark Souls 1 you know about the NPC above the Ornstein and Smough boss room. Her of the large, well, you know. Anyway I made a reference to her, very carefully made, no crude language, something humorous that fit right into the discussion. My post was later followed by others who made the same kind of observation. Anyway, I was chastised for it, and basically told not to do that again.

My response was to end my relationship with a forum that reacted in such a way. My only way of “protesting” was to demonstrate my seriousness, and that was to ask for my account to be deleted.

I will still go back there and read over some of the gaming threads if there is something I am looking for. There are some very good people over there. But I could no longer function there.

OK I get that, thanks for explaining. BF definitely has a whole other culture and set of rules that take some adjusting to. Now that I think about it, I recall mentioning my son’s circumcision and just getting absolutely tackled by some posters over that. I knew it could be a source of disagreement but I was not prepared for the vehemence, it made me really think twice about what I shared there.

But I get that it seems to be designed to be a safe place for folks who may feel marginalized elsewhere on the web. I respect that, and I’m glad they’re out there. I also think that years on the internet seem to, rather than sand down our rough edges, probably make us courser. And I could easily see myself offending folks carelessly, so it wasn’t too tough a decision to step back.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. Anyway, it’s good that people with thin skin have a safe place to hang out.

You big meanie.