Broken Forum vanished

I’m so glad this thread was bumped.

I know right… :)

Me too! Almost forgot that place existed.

Ironically, when I occasionally stop over there to see what’s going on, there are many very vile and toxic personalities jumping on people in the name of defending the thin skinned. And then there’s the obsession with weird dating sim shit.

It’s a board for professional victims. And a place for unfinished VN playthroughs. Not my type of groupthink.

Lets just leave it as a very different type of community and be happy they have a place to hang out. Uncool to slam people on another board that can’t post here. And I know I contributed to that a little bit. It is tough to resist.

That’s what I did with BF. I think I made a total of one post, but still continued to read it for a bit. Now I don’t read it all because one forum is enough. I guess my account is still open on BF, though.

People did that here too, when the great diaspora occurred, telling Tom to close their accounts. I guess that was a statement. At the time I thought the same thing – just don’t post if you don’t want to be active here.

I’ve looked in on Broken Forum and have an account, but it’s kinda slow there. I mean, nothing is GAF as far as speed of forum, but BF bored me.

This. Despite being strongly reminiscent of old-fashioned Usenet—barroom lawyering, ritualized point-scoring, toxic assholery, twitch-posting grad student—there’s also a highly laudable inclusivity and warmth. Which often makes for an uneasy combination, but I’m glad it’s there for them.

Sure. It gives a sense of closure, and “I quit; here’s why” can be an informative message.

Around the time that gamergate was breaking (as in, before it got that label,) I returned to the QT3/BF IRC channel that I had once been a regular on. They were talking about the commentary regarding a guy competing against a woman in an esports event. As a long time sports fan, it sounded very typical of a sports announcer saying what one side needed to do to win, but to them it was that the announcer was rooting for the guy to win.

Given the tenor of the discussion, I very cautiously dipped my toe by explicitly saying that I didn’t feel very comfortable speaking out given the way gamergate was blowing up (FTR - not a supporter in any way of harassment,) but that I felt there might be a less sinister explanation of the announcer’s commentary. In trying to explain my discomfort and my support of marginalized people, I added “-ed” when including “transgender” among the groups of people I supported.

While not all of the rain of responses that followed were berating, enough were that it justified my discomfort. I had hung out with these people for years, and that response was hurtful. Frankly, it was bullying.

No dissing BF here because yeah, those cats have their own thing BUT

Take a look at the latest banned member over there and tell me that you eyebrows didn’t fly up a couple of inches, if you know The Other Board history at all

Is there a list of banned members?

Format: CSV
Size: 1.8Tb

Who was it? I miss a lot of those guys. Maybe they’ll come back here.

Um… I know I’ve been out of the QT3/BF love triangle loop for a while now, but… whoa.

@stusser Matthew Gallant

Oh I see it’s at the top of the main page. I have no problem with him personally but yeah, given how he exited probably not.

I see a lot of names in that banned list that I recognize and wish were back here. Five on the first page.

Was drilling holes in monitors a Qt3 meme or BF meme? Either way ol’ Theodore is gone from both yeah?

I wasn’t really around for the Great Splintering. I’m not sure why. It wasn’t really related to anything that was going on. Life got in the way.

The monitor drilling meme will never get old. Neither will mentioning HRose predicted it on his blog.

I really miss the NFL picks script, though.

I guess HRose is gone? He was desperate to work on MMOs but I guess that dream died when MMOs more or less died.