Broken Forum vanished

I saw that here. I laughed.

Are they still yelling at me? ::sniff::

Seems relevant: https://snap.stanford.edu/conflict/

Relevant:

I heard Bill Dungsroman came out on that board as actually being 1) a Japanese version of Kitsune, in a sort of anti-trans-racial identity non-crossover thing, and 2) as being gay…gay for ME. Can anyone confirm?

I have little to no opinion on any of this, except to say that rolling 1’s is awesome if you have a good GM.

Holy crap, Kitsune’s last post was 11 years ago.

Big Bill_D posts on RPS occasionally, I can’t blame him for leaving here after the…incident!

I miss Bill D. And the guy that wrote the football picks script.

Yeah the Great Diaspora had a fair bit (read: a lot) of collateral damage. It was handled … badly, to put it mildly.

That said there were some legitimate reasons for some folks to want a different place to go. I would say this side has more of the @stusser “fuck it, nothing matters to me, I don’t stand for anything it’s just games lol” nihilism but it is a bit of a continuum. And the other extreme (everything matters a million times squared, to the minutest detail) is just as unpleasant, in different ways.

I do find nihilism appealing in the abstract sense but it’s not a great way to live your life.

That’s why I advocate for optimistic nihilism

I’ve said it before, I do too. In my short time Over There he seemed to have mellowed out a lot. Not sure if that’s necessarily a good thing or not.

There are a few people that left who I definitely wish had stayed. But several of them have a zero tolerance attitude torward any form of sexism (real, perceived, or imagined) and that won’t fly here.

Mind you, I am not saying sexism is good, it isn’t, but there is a continuum. If your field is bereft of given fucks, this is not a healthy place for you to hang out.

Codswallop. Some of us maybe just decided that a fuckin chat board wasn’t the hill we wanted to die on.

If we can’t harbor our despicable views privately and in peace and shoot the breeze about games, do we really want to live in the world we’ve made?

Puritan chicks are hot when they’re burning at my stake. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Also, message boards are just for fun and information sharing. And MMOs are just for fun. And people who rely on “online communities” are very very silly and not in a fun way.

Perhaps the reason such people so often go on full-Salem witch hunts is to exercise the power in their virtual community that they’ve never been able to in a real one, even if it’s just the power of lynch mob membership.

But ultimately, who cares about people who aren’t fun?

I think there is quite a bit of truth to that, JMJ. Especially in any community where some anonyminity is allowed.

It’s something in the human mind, our tribalism, that causes us to ostracize and publicly shame, to pile-on to those that don’t fit in at any level. Historically that’s due to the color of your skin or your religion, but lately with greater partisanship particularly in the US political and social beliefs have taken that spot. Unlike your skin color or your religion which are seen as immutable, groupthink can be enforced via this mechanism.

It’s largely immaterial if you generally agree with the viewpoints enforced in a shame-driven community. You are forced to align perfectly or you will be driven out. So those views are heavily reinforced among those that remain, and if you deviate in the slightest from orthodoxy your speech is chilled. You remain silent.

The Chinese have taken this to an artform, publicly shaming those that act badly. We’re catching up. See links below.

Guilt, not gravity, is the most powerful force in the universe.

Having been raised Catholic, I would agree!

My Johnson has proven more powerful than guilt on any number of occasions, but it’s true that I’m no longer young.