Broken Forum vanished

It’s generally used when talking about an individual from a minority group, It’s negative in implication that the rest of the minority group is not and it’s surprising/impressive that this individual is. Chris Rock did a bit about it.

You may use it Indiscriminately but you should be aware that it is commonly used in a passively racist way. Sometimes language moves that way, and words/phrases we may use innocently obtain negative connotations.

Ok. I’m very cringy here, wanting to do the “Really?”, thing, but I’m going with:

Understood. Thanks.

The Chris Rock bit from 1996(?).

I didn’t come close to refuting every single thing people liked about the movie, not by a mile. And at least 3/4ths of my posts were replies to people responding to me, so there was actually a conversation going on. And I didn’t even respond to all of those.

But more to the point, BF is the only online forum I’ve ever seen where people actively single out someone and say “Hey stop posting!” or count the numbers of posts and use that against you. Generally what happens is that people participate who want to, and conversation just progresses naturally. But only on BF does someone get accused of derailing the thread because of the number of people attacking them.

I know I should just move on, but I felt the need to say that I’ve used “well spoken” as a compliment towards caucasian males much more often than any other race/gender. A recent example are the survivors of the Parkland shooting in Florida, whom I believe are well spoken. I get that they are young, but they speak intelligently (well spoken). A compliment, not an insult. Not an insult towards all young people, not an insult towards male or female individuals. Not an insult. A compliment.

Uh huh

I will chime in to support Andy and say that I found the posting environment at BF to be quite hostile.

It has been some time ago so I do not recall the particulars. I do recall that I elected to curtail and eventually eliminate contributing to that cesspool. I was eventually contacted by one of the forum administrators in a hostile manner and told them they could close my account as I had no interest in returning to interact with that bunch of wankers. Whether that forum exists or not is of no interest to me.

This is turning back into a BF bitchfest, so I’m closing it.

Hey, it’s returned! It’s an Easter miracle!

I’m actually not cool with closing the thread, partly because there are other things being discussed. I’m also not cool with closing a thread because people are talking about another site. There is no rule about what we can and can’t complain about. Is it poor form? Perhaps. Should it be prohibited? No.

That said, I think everyone in this thread would appreciate it if people complaining about Broken Forum would just let it go already…

-Tom

I’m skeptical of posting anything here until Tom finishes the reply he’s typing… ;)

e: Maverick!!!

One time I dressed up my dong as a bong and this hippie chick was all, like, I’ll hit it

hermie

I mean…

I think people should totally be allowed to carry their baggage from thread to thread but if they choose to do so they will be assessed a $25 carry-on fee. Is all I’m saying.

Honestly? This thread has been civil as fuck. I could write a few thousand words, but why? People here know me, and anyone who cares enough to have an active BF account can go look at my bid to keep Napoleon away from Moscow their own selves, provided Lum didn’t delete it.

Anyone interested in it is welcome to PM me, but I suspect anyone interested knows the personalities involved and has a pretty good sense of what went down and why anyway.

And despite all that, I’m glad BF is there. I’m glad it’s a positive thing for a lot of people who may not have a welcoming online community where they can let their freak flag fly in all its glory, and I mean that in the geek-positive '80s Very Special Episode kind of way. I don’t post there any more because it stopped being a positive in my life, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t exist.

I can count on one hand the number of times threads have been closed here. And mostly, I have no desire to dictate what people can and can’t complain about. As for the bit from the rules you cited, I find it’s better to let people complain about something so long as it’s contained than it is trying to proscribe certain topics of conversation.

-Tom