Broken Forum vanished

And I just can’t go more than about three posts without posting a funny animal gif. Seriously, my doctor wrote me a note.

YOU SAID FUNNY NOT ADORABLE WHERE IS MY FUNNY

More fails. How’s this:

THANK YOU ARRENDEK YOU ARE A GENTLE-PERSON AND A SCHOLAR

SEE HOW I AM BLISSFULLY UNAWARE OF YOUR GENDER BECAUSE REALLY, AS FAR AS I KNOW, EVERYONE ON QT3 EXCEPT ME COULD EASILY BE A WOMAN, AND IT WOULD BE IMPOLITE TO ASSUME OTHERWISE.

Lastest screenshot of my AI pack for the Amiga 68k port of Panzer General

Now get back to the kitchen and fix me a sandwich!!!111!!

Copying? COPYING? Don’t copy that floppy, kiddo.

I mean I only even noticed this thread after the derail and conversations about beer, so I have honestly no idea what is on topic, and don’t care to read all 1000 posts to find out.

I am all about the general conversation about beer and sports stuff, even the ‘sportsball’ thing, taken in good humor.

So I don’t know what the trolling @arrendek is talking about…

So rather than closing, we get this nonsensical bullshit. @stusser was right to close this topic, and @tomchick was wrong.

What is your deal with out-of-control threads, man? You’re like the Vorlon of thread monitoring.

It’s just dumb. Thunderdome is a terrible way to run a space where humans congregate.

Pretty sure he wasn’t talking about the beer conversations, but stuff that was sort jammed in between it and after it. He can say for sure though.

So about, oh, 650 posts ago, @Andy_Bates resurrected the thread to complain about his banning over on BF.

This, amongst other things, inspired some talk about moderation, differences between the boards, how most people are dicks, whether or not @wumpus secretly reads our posts here, etc., that kinda started to flame out, so we started posting dinosaurs.

Except a new thread of thought sorta begin around here:

Then we had about 300 posts of moderately good discussion on whether or not Qt3 was particularly welcoming, unwelcoming, or neither toward women. Nesrie chimed in for awhile, I actually wrote serious thoughts a couple-few times in the midst of it, we spent a little time trying to divine whether or not a user who “jokingly” asked a woman if she was into the right kind of wargames to prove she was a real gamer was actually joking or not, etc. Not the highest of brows, but hey, it was interesting conversation about a topic that needs lots more of it.

But the Same Old Crowd showed up to remind us that trying to be thoughtful was evil, working to be better people was somehow insulting to them directly, and that by jove, things are just fine around here because who really knows whether or not we have a tiny population of women for some reason in particular, anyway?

And after a certain point, it became evident that mindset was entrenched in those who held it and that not much was to be gained by discussing things further.

The thread eventually got shut by @stusser, then reopened by @tomchick, and eventually things spiraled toward beer and sporps. At various points @wumpus suffered Thunderdome Flashback-inspired PTSD meltdowns, and everyone very many people felt a little bad about it, but not enough to really say anything while he flailed, frothing-mouthed, on a floor covered by hundreds of yo-yos, spitting and screaming about MODERATION

OK I’m going to come clean here. I’ve never felt bad about wumpus’ little fits of WHY WON’T YOU PEOPLE JUST DO WHAT I TELL YOU, I find them amusing.

Correction:

Almost everyone felt a little bad about it.

I wouldn’t want to speak for all members of a subgroup or anything here.

I often feel bad when others feel bad because that’s basic empathy right.

Here’s the thing though, if we let wumpus shove all our skeletons in the closet, at some point those bastards are going to start bulging the door and trying to get out… kind of like now. None of these issues brought up here are new; they just peep once in awhile in other places and are shoved aside in the end…

Also, it’s fun to think of him as Thor, getting a ride through Willy Wonka hell and wondering why the rest of us can’t figure out that we don’t want to actually get to the other side.

To be fair, I think that Jeff strongly supports the conversation we were having above, recognized his own issues on that track, and is working to improve. He mostly would just prefer that discussion happen in another thread.

And what thread did he make for that discussion?

I’d be ok to make a funny animal gif thread that we could continue this discussion in.