Broken Forum vanished

I’m just saying, in reviewing the thread history above, I think that categorizing Jeff’s wishes to be shoving Qt3’s racial and sexual skeletons into a closer is a little harsher than reality bears out.

https://m.popkey.co/1cd74a/a0RaV.gif

Hey, I did say little. He at least took some time to acknowledge the thing with Amanda was really shitty, though I think we may have still come up just short of an actual apology…

I understand and appreciate your POV and maybe it’s his too but… off-topic conversations happen here all the time, ALL the time, and this wasn’t even off-topic; this is completely related to Broken Forum as you pointed out like minutes ago… and if you tell someone else to take their ball elsewhere and there isn’t a second court to to go to, you’re basically just shutting down their game so you can have yours.

And I totally get that, too. Man, I feel real skeevy trying to play defense on this one here when I’m really just splitting a semantic hair, but generally Jeff and Stusser and others seem initially to want to close off a thread whose general purpose was, for a time, to shit on a board full of people who are banned here anyway, so they can’t even defend themselves. Which I don’t think is an unfair position.

I would love to be able to have substantive conversations about the tone and feel around here. I would also love to do it in a way that didn’t involve people taking potshots at The Other Board. They’re a great metric of comparison on these issues, absolutely, but I can see how having the overall topic frame it as an us vs them war makes it harder to encourage genuine reflection. There’s literally years of bad blood and drama bound up in the split that can fester in this discussion. Some of it absolutely tied to the sexism and racism, yeah. But some of it is just full unpleasantness that only detracts from meaningful discussions.

That said, I’m all about Thunderdome moderation, personally. But I can kinda get why Jeff might see this as not the best place to try to hash this important stuff out.

And yeah, creating a new and better space to do it would absolutely be a great step to take. You’re not off base there at all.

And who is “Jeff”? There is no “Jeff” here

I mean c’mon man. He’s got a goddamned Wikipedia page. Look it up!

Please feel free to start a new thread about inclusiveness on Qt3 not linked to broken forum. Ideally, in P&R.

I’ve been told that some of the people who might really benefit from reading it have been “run out of” that subforum, though!

One significant benefit of this thread’s placement is the higher visibility :P

This is not P&R, this is our community we’re talking about here. Also, this is not in PR either.

The P & R subforum is a bit more cohesive these days. I thought it was because of a common foe mentality not because those that support other topics were ‘run off’. That’s too bad. I would love to read the viewpoints of people from a different reality.

Back on topic, I don’t think the treatment of groups is necessary a political or a religious one, at least not if we are talking about the treatment of groups in this forum.

Just listen to any music from the 70s. Far more enjoyable than trying to parse the feeble-brained screeds of whatever Trumpists remain in the other corners of this board, I assure you.

Yeah, but I hear they have their own set of facts and everything! It’s like the world they live in is disconnected from the actual world that they live in.

It’s trippy.