Broken Forum vanished

blowfish

All right, you have my axe. We can do better. How do we get started?

Dude, I fucking almost wrote blowfish, I typed it out and backstroked to put cobra. I knew someone was going to call me out.

I think we have to start by acknowledging this about our community. The level of participation in tlhat community is completely up to the individual. But this is not politics, it’s not religion, it’s not college fights, or some argument someone had with a girlfriend last year or this guy on this other forum, it’s about QT3 and how it exists today and if maybe something slightly different might be better for the near future.

And if someone disagrees with that, they can certainly voice that, but the attempts to shut people down who are asking for the conversation and banish them to PR and other attempts to shame and blame for asking these questions… needs to stop. It’s unnecessary.

All right, I agree with that, this is a discussion about the overall tone and personality of the forum and how all of us communicate with each other, which is not an inherently political discussion. I don’t get the impression that the decision makers necessarily see it that way though, so I don’t know where to go from here.

THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID

I don’t really know either… and neither do they because this was closed and then re-opened, and then suggested to PR so this is… new territory for everyone even the ones crossing their arms and refusing to take the journey.

I started a topic for this.

Isn’t the journey just our daily posting though? Tom made it clear he’s alright with the discussion. There are always people who don’t want to have the discussion, no matter the topic. I just ignore them and move on or continue the talk or call them ignorant or laugh at their bad jokes or save their funny .gifs for a better use later. Realistically, what more can you do? You can’t mute their posts either.

There’s always going to be conflict on this forum (and any forum really) because people don’t agree. You can’t hope to avoid all the words that might offend because some are easily offended. Do your best to be civil and think about how you’d handle it as a face to face discussion is usually my goto way of posting. I think most people here do the same, and frankly, we lost a number of shit stirrers in the schism. It’s a way friendlier place now.

l think this is a matter of perspective. There are handful of people who derail this conversations for shits and giggles and to get a rise out of people whenever this topic comes up. Every time. And I overlook things all the time. I don’t really need a… lesson in how to do that. I’m probably doing it more often than you think because while others try to hit the sewers, others are just… clueless that it’s even happening. They can’t see it.

I do not respond too every incident here, and lucky for me, there a few guys around here who step in when they feel the need to so I don’t fell compelled to do it every time anyway. They still get shit on by it’s juts the locker room lolz crowd though.

This also happens on other boards as well, even places that are supposedly more enlightened. I’m not saying it’s right, but there are always going to be people who take a topic less seriously, or who disagree with what a topic should be about. I think having a separate thread is probably the best idea in that case. It’s not a perfect solution, but it’s something.

Sure, and that’s going. Before someone throws stones though, they should at least not live in a glass house to begin with. This topic basically turned into throwing stones at other forums as if… we’re somehow better. This topic did not prove we are better.

This thread has remained open, contained (bits and pieces of) a useful discussion, and spawned another thread for a more serious discussion. Oh, and no one was specifically ganged up on, and no one was banned. In those specific respects, this forum is superior to other forums I have participated in.

If I didn’t like the forum, I wouldn’t be here. That doesn’t mean there isn’t room for improvement, and the specific topic I challenged way up there, yeah I’ve been to a number of forums that were more receptive of women and minorities… They don’t ban people there. People are just… I don’t know decent, but they’re not forums where you talk about games, and movies, and tv shows, and hardware, and politics, and jobs, and cooking and… and… They’re more focused.

Definitely not trying to hand out lessons, Nesrie. I was just kind of noting that assholes will be assholes no matter how hard we all try to be a little better. I think we all can always do and be better. I try really hard because I know what everyone else goes through. I’m a standard white guy and I get pissed all the time at how I see minorities treated in my township and in high school sports… it’s so obvious sometimes and yet many around me have no clue.

But again, I have been here from day one and I feel a lot more comfortable on this board today than I used to and I think it’s partially because of who left and partially because I think people are trying a little harder to be more inclusive. Could it be better? Yes. Always. My perspective is different than yours I think, and that’s ok! I do empathize and I try like hell to put myself in other people’s shoes.

Hopefully that’s enough.

The overall tone is better. I miss a lot of the people who left, but I think it’s a nicer place now.

I saw that tour. I am old.

The Tubes were on our 80s Cruise last month. The lead singer at one point came out dressed in his crazy giant person costume:

When he came out in his super-tall shoes he had to have his hands on the backs of two other band members to steady himself. He looked a bit feeble.