Broken Patent System

An interesting coincidental date thing going on with this thread necro: The date on the original post says (in Discourse) “Sep '11”, which is coincidentally today’s date, September 11. I opened the thread, say today’s date and wondered what had happened in patent law that managed to garner 80 posts this early in the morning.

Speaking of which, can I lodge another plea for Discourse to change its post date format from Sep 11 to 11 Sep? It’s too easy to confuse a day with a year.

While I don’t really understand the details of this (Inter Partes Review appears to be a way to challenge specific terms of a patent’s patent-ability), my knee jerk reaction is that the courts will either say “sure whatever”, due to endless parades of lawyers, or eventually just say “fuck your sovereign immunity”, which my understanding is what they do whenever it’s convenient.

Allergan’s ploy has been ruled out of order, thank God.

So from what I’m reading, if the tribe had held the majority of financial interests from the product, it may have held up. Is that correct?