BSG 2006 (Season 3, or is it 2.5?)

Before Mayer starts a competing thread, I’ll kick off this thread to discuss the upcoming third season of Battlestar Galactica. Or, more appropriately, Season 2.5 of BSG.

And if someone starts another thread like this, I will ignore that completely, as well.

I really dont like how they are spillting the seasons up. I can understand it I guess but it kinda sucks because we end up paying like what 60 bucks for a whole season on DVD?

I cant wait for it though it seems like its been forever.

Also starbuck was on an episode of Boomtown a few years ago and she looked teh hawt. She had nice long hair and she sings some song pretty good ( I dont think thats actually her voice though ).

I would infact hit it.

Is anybody still watching this? I lost interest toward the end of season 1, and didn’t make it through more than a few episodes of season 2. I tried really, really hard to like it.

The show got off to an auspicious start, but quickly devolved into vapid, generic sci fi with very shallow character development.

And this from a guy who loves good sci fi television(B5, TNG, DS9).

This thread is a little early, isn’t it? Show doesn’t start for another month.

Anyway…

The way they are splitting the seasons up does suck, but Scifi Channel has been doing it for years with all their shows (well, Stargate, anyway). Could be worse, could be like HBO with its “12 episodes then you die of old age before the next season starts” policy.

Yes, philosophist, anybody is still watching this. :P It seems like some people just don’t like the show for whatever reason, even if they like other science fiction shows like you do. I guess there’s just something wrong with you.

My fault partly… I made threatening noises, and felt that it was time for Woolen and myself, brothers in both BSG and GRRM, to no longer be at war.

I’m personally jazzed for Season 2.1 or 2.5 or whatever. Splitting up a season like this isn’t uncommon for sci-fi shows or British shows (I believe BSG is produced in part by a British company) so this split, while sucking, isn’t surprising. I’ve been watching the Season 1 DVD a lot lately, and have Season 2.0 on pre-order. :)

Yeah, I’m a fan of BSG, though when someone tried to tell me it was better than Firefly, I just laughed and laughed…

Eh, BSG and Firefly are very different shows. Personally, I couldn’t compare them. One is a sci-fi/western, another is the farthest thing from science fiction, 'cept it’s set in space.

For the record, though, I’m a huge fan of both.

A heretic! BURN HIM!

Go and read the BSG threads. While Brett Todd hates it (and everything on TV), we generally like it, mainly because we feel that it’s not generic sci fi and doesn’t have shallow character development. So I’m not sure what you’re watching really, especially when compared to TNG, which had like no character development for 7 years. Sure, it gets mad props for being the first modern mature sci-fi show, but it ain’t all that. Picard might have seen 4 lights and got a magic flute, but it didn’t seem to change him.

I think we’re watching different shows.

Is anybody still watching this? I lost interest toward the end of season 1, and didn’t make it through more than a few episodes of season 2. I tried really, really hard to like it.

The show got off to an auspicious start, but quickly devolved into vapid, generic sci fi with very shallow character development.

I partly agree with you, I thought it really lost direction towards the end of season 1 and into season 2 but then it started to pick back up again, and the season 2 finale (1.5?/breakpoint, dammit what is this called?) was brilliant.

I’m not a huge Sci-Fi fan, TNG was the last series I was hooked on, but I’m willing to forgive a few dodgy episodes for what it seems to be turning into.

Sorry; I didn’t mean to sound like a troll. It’s just that I’m so deeply disappointed with the series. As I said, it started off auspiciously, but it quickly grew boring. I tried to watch. I mean I really wanted to like it. It’s really hard for me to put my finger on what went wrong other than it became “uninteresting”. Of course, I’m more of a movie and book kind of guy, since I seem to have difficulty sticking with a series for any length of time (Lost and 24 come to mind). Bah. I’m just not good at articulating these kinds of things.

I’m excited. Not as excited as I was at the end of season 1… But it’s the middle of a Season, and Sci Fi used to pull this exact same BS with Farscape, so I know what to expect.

I agree there were some episodes that veered from greatness (primarily the ones that focused on Starbuck back on Caprica), but c’mon, you listed TNG as one you liked. The ratio of great-to-crap on BSG is a million times better than it was for TNG. :)

I’m going to call bullshit here. There are 3 BSG threads on the first page, one of them 15 pages long, yet you come in and ask “is anybody still watching this?” That’s about as uncreatively troll as you can get, especially when it’s in a thread clearly created by the OP for enthusiasts of the show to discuss it.

I’m going to call bullshit here. There are 3 BSG threads on the first page, one of them 15 pages long, yet you come in and ask “is anybody still watching this?” That’s about as uncreatively troll as you can get, especially when it’s in a thread clearly created by the OP for enthusiasts of the show to discuss it.[/quote]

Hey, one guy doesn’t like it, you don’t need to gang up on him and start calling him out. They’ll be a few smart replies, sure, but it’s really not that big of a deal. Just carry on with you life.

I’m going to call bullshit here. There are 3 BSG threads on the first page, one of them 15 pages long, yet you come in and ask “is anybody still watching this?” That’s about as uncreatively troll as you can get, especially when it’s in a thread clearly created by the OP for enthusiasts of the show to discuss it.[/quote]

Obviously somebody’s watching it, including quite a few qt3 members, just like somebody is still watching E.R. Just wondering if this show was still relevant since for me it quickly went down hill.

I was also hoping somebody might reveal that, yes, the show did take a dip in quality initially but then redeemed itself and got much better without having to wade through a 15 page BSG thread. And having heard some of your comments, it seems like that is a possibility. As I said, I genuinely want to like this show; I’m starving for qood quality sci fi.

Well it did do that. There were a few dumb episodes, and a few really unnerving ones (the rape, the baby farm) but the last few were sheer awesome.

Goddammit! I got all stoked looking for episodes beyond 208 and have only run into one new episode, 210. I need some 211 lovin!

but c’mon, you listed TNG as one you liked. The ratio of great-to-crap on BSG is a million times better than it was for TNG.

True, but there have been a bucketload more TNG episodes than there have BSG to date. I was also a lot younger when TNG started and probably alot more forgiving (although not of anything with Wesley in it) some of it certainly hasn’t aged that well having watched them again.

I just felt that BSG started really strongly for most of series one but the whole Kobol thing and Dr whatshisface in particular really started to wear thin after a while which carried on into season 2 and then really started to pick back up again. The Sharon plotline is a lot more intruiging that I expected or even hoped it would be and I thought Chief’s ship storyline and the Pegasus bits were excellently done.

I was also hoping somebody might reveal that, yes, the show did take a dip in quality initially but then redeemed itself and got much better without having to wade through a 15 page BSG thread.

I’d certainly say that (I think I did).