BSG 36 - A Friend in Need... maybe

I am happy with this.

Largely irrelevant (sadly)

If the mission numbers weren’t Super Crisis level (or higher), maybe it would be more appealing :)

It feels like (to me) that there’s less card damage doing a trip down the normal jump track.

Oh they are absolutely appropriately costed for their power. The trouble is that they eat an action, drain cards, and have fail conditions that hurt.

So you can only do it in two situations. You are in good shape and flush with cards (rare) and can eat two actions to find and prep a mission you need. Or break glass in case of emergency, oh gods we are hosed.

I played IRL yesterday and I think I understand better now, especially because I was the only person who had any clue (everyone else was new) and I had to explain the rules to everyone.

I’m happy with any permutations everyone else wants, and I promise I’ll know what’s going on by the end of the game.

I would love to have an in-person game of this with all of us, but Craig & KS aren’t playing, just watching us. Speaking personally, I have absolutely zero idea of how to actually play this game in person, even after 20-40 forum games of my own. I assume the two of them would enjoy watching us fumble through even basic stuff like forming a legal loyalty deck. Or jumps…how do they work?!

It took four hours since nobody knew how to play. Four players, so one Cylon and a Sympathizer. I drew Cylon before the sleeper phase and another player was able to check a loyalty card and despite there being someone else who kept “mistakenly” putting in engineering cards in politics/leadership skill checks, he checked me because I was more experienced. I didn’t have the support to brig him (everyone believed him) so I (Saul Tigh) declared martial law and made myself President (I was already Admiral). They stole my President card back, brigged me and I revealed (yeah, I probably shouldn’t have made myself President, but it was a split second decision and I knew they would try to brig me soon. It was a gamble to waste their cards either brigging me or stealing my President card). For the Sleeper phase, I had two dials in the red zone so a Sympathizer would be on my side, but I drew the Sympathizer card and was on my own. The last turn had them at one space away from auto jump but fuel, morale, and population were all at 1 and food was at 2. Had we gotten a different crisis I might’ve won, but we got one that didn’t kill them and did give them an auto jump.

That was a long tangent that was only sort or related to your question, but my point is is that IRL didn’t seem all that different from forum playing as far as I could tell except I had just the base game and no expansions and you guys play with like 100+ pages of rules. But maybe I’m just saying that because in the two games I’ve played, I’ve been a Cylon President-Admiral both times.

Wait…do jumps work differently here? I didn’t think there was anything different about them.

Nope, no difference.

As for drawibg loyalty cards, you can (in base game) pass off your excess loyalty card. In one of the expansions, Daybreak I believe?, this is automatic upon reveal.

Yeah, jumps are the same, was just a joke. I think I could figure out jumps ok in person; it’s just the other 95% of the game that would be chaotic.

Ok so we’re doing it. Ionian Nebula, Allies, 7 with motives

Dice for player order coming up next

@Knightsaber 62
@Lantz 80
@Jorn_Weines 7
@soondifferent 63
@Snebmi 33
@Perky_Goth 44
@rowe33 67

So @Lantz first for character, then @rowe33

President Roslyn

@rowe33

So, the order is:

Lantz (80)
rowe33 (67)
soondifferent (63)
Knightsaber (62)
Perky_Goth (44)
Snebmi (33)
Jorn_Weines (7)

In 7-player games, is it common to have multiple of politics/military/pilot characters? Are there some that there usually aren’t multiple of?

Admiral Natalie Faust are words that I don’t think have ever been uttered here but they ring true, however briefly!

@soondifferent

Wasn’t Jorn Admiral Faust in Game 28?

I think the only real rule is that the first three people have to pick a Military, Pilot, or Political character (1 of each), then you can have as many other of the same class as people want. No multiples of the same person though (like Pilot Adama + Military Adama).

Okay. Does it make sense to, say, have 2 pilots? What characters do we want the most of?