BSOD on Windows 7 due to netio.sys

I installed Windows 7 Home Premium about a week ago on my laptop. The install went very smooth and things are working well with the exception of regular BSOD when doing something on the net. This can happen when loading a page, using Skype, etc. It is always a blue screen with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

blahblahblah

netio.sys

This will happen after any amount of time, sometimes within seconds of using the internet, sometimes after minutes or an hour or two. The oddest part is, using this same laptop, connected to my work network and using the network for hours at a time, has not had any problems.

I am connecting wirelessly with an Intel wireless card. I do have the latest drivers for Win 7 from Intel’s site for my wireless adapter. Any help would be great.

The first two links I checked when googling netio.sys bsod windows 7 both involved a McAfee AV/IS product and one user reported no more BSODs after uninstalling it (and replacing it with a different AV product). You can try the most recent BIOS for your laptop manufacturer since you’ve already targeted the Intel drivers for wireless. It does seem like there are a lot of 7 users reporting netio.sys BSODs. Maybe if you Google a bit more you can add some other specifics and narrow your problem down.

I had this problem until I quit using AVG.

I had that same error in Windows XP and I think Windows 7 after installation, but it was reporting a random file most of the time, and I had no idea what was causing it. Most of the time it was World of Warcraft causing the BSOD but I do recall it appearing at points outside of the game.

The problem? The voltage supplied to my RAM after installing 2 more DIMMs wasn’t sufficient enough, and it conked out when a lot of memory was in use. I upped it a little bit and I’ve never seen a BSOD since.

There’s little chance this is the problem of course, but it took me a while to work this out so on the slight offchance you or anyone else needs the information, here it is!

Thanks for the suggestions. After analyzing the minidump files, it was some old drivers. Sadly, the hardware is old enough there weren’t newer ones I could find, so I just went back to XP. I do miss 7 on my laptop. Microsoft did a great job with their new OS.

I disagree.

Windows 7 is, by far, the most unstable piece of shit OS I’ve ever run.

I fucking hate it.

I’m lucky if I can make it a week without a BSOD or – better yet – hard lock.

Today, it BSOD’d while installing updates ffs. Now, one update won’t go in. I rolled back to a previous restore point, and it still won’t go in.

Fuck this OS.

Sounds like your hardware is flaky. I haven’t had issues on any of the systems I’ve put it on yet. Install XP on that system and let me know how stable it is.

I’ve not had a problem with Windows 7 at all, apart from the fact that can’t figure out how to delete custom themes. It’s a solid, stable, fast operating system. My hardware isn’t that new either - Core2Quad 2.4 @ 3.0, 4GB PC-1066 DDR2, nVidia 8800GT, etc. The BSODs I’ve seen have been down to bad drivers or dodgy hardware, which is not really Microsoft’s fault.

Nope. It’s doing this on both my brand new ASUS, and my 2-year old CyberPower - which was absolutely rock solid under Vista. Never a single hard lock or BSOD. Why the fuck did I ever “upgrade” ? Sigh.

Windows 7 sucks.

You might pause to reflect on the fact that your experience with it is unlike most people’s, and therefore the problem is likely specific to your particular configuration, and not Windows 7 as a whole. What AV are you using?

I don’t use AV.

Well, when you get a Blue Screen error, it’s typically hardware or driver related. So you likely have some sort of hardware that is not ready for Windows 7. What does the blue screen error say? That can typically help narrow it down, depending. Sometimes you need to dump the memory to disk and examine it.

That was what figured it out for me. Checking those pointed out the two drivers that just weren’t happy (and were pretty old).

Sorry 7 has been buggy for you Balasarius. But for me, at least, 7 has been a really huge improvement in stability (on my newer desktop it runs fast, bug free and rock stable), functionality and usability.

Blah fucking blah, woe is you. I don’t even have W7 and the overwhelming majority of comments on it on the whole god damn internet, and word-of-mouth, are positive. You got bit, I’m sorry, but pick up your balls and get on with your life.

No!

I shall continue to bitch about it at every opportunity. It’s what I do best.

Right now I think the problem is 2/3 h/w related and 1/3 Win7 sucking ass. MS released a quality patch which they admitted has lowered stability in some Win7 systems, and there was a security patch this week which is known to cause BSODs.

Edit - h/w related on the new ASUS. The CyberPower hangs have to be Win7 issues.

Perhaps it’s related to the first hotfix described in this article?

Flagged