Budget Android Smartphone

What’s being stored on it? If it’s pictures, apps like Google Photos and One Drive can automatically back them up, and than you kids can go through and delete them.

Android 6.0 is supposed to play better with SD cards, but you’ll probably need the storage just to download it to being with.

Doesn’t seem to be very much in the way photos - just apps that do not allow themselves to be moved to the sd card.

Yes, android 6.0 “marries” internal and external storage, combining them into a single pool. So this sort of thing isn’t a problem at all, assuming the performance of your SDcard is OK.

The kid with the more urgent problems has a Moto E. Looks like Motorola is not providing Marshmallow for that phone, so there won’t be any help coming from that.

If the device can be rooted and modified, there are (or at least were) utilities to expand internal storage across SD devices. In a similar vein, root access is the only way to modify (/edit/delete) files that are stored in the /system partition (e.g., language packs, other oS features, plus some adware preloaded by carriers).

Aside from that, the sad fact is that app devs aren’t terribly considerate about space usage and were discouraged from relying on SD cards during the era that Google themselves severely restricted access to them (Android 4.0-5), so they often don’t provide means to move to SD or even try to put their cache on SD. Long story short, apps are getting bigger and bigger, and old and cheap devices aren’t magically gaining more storage size to match (and even worse, the OS itself has generally gotten bigger over time, so things like OTA updates to new versions of Android may have gobbled up even more space!).

If you want, though, you can try things like going into Applications in settings and sorting by size. Most of the largest ones will be games (no dice there–games are big) and browsing apps (e.g., Chrome, reddit surfers, etc.) that cache lots of images. You can usually tap on such apps and clear their image caches (not data–that’ll log you out of the apps), but know that they’ll just slowly build back up over time.

If you’re up for it, there is a marshmallow CM firmware for the moto E listed as stable.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-e/orig-development/rom-cyanogenmod-13-moto-e-2014-t3231356

Thanks - I would, but its a Republic Wireless phone, with their wifi-offload special stuff.

Ahh-- yeah you’re hosed.

From this one regard - yeah, hosed. On the other hand, his service only costs us $10/mo.

We made some significant progress - figured out how to force Spotify to move downloaded music to the SD card.

Got my cheap $175USD Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Prime. It feels and runs like a 2014 flagship phone. The Xiaomi iOS-like skin is fluid and feels different for someone like me who has always preferred stock Android. Flashed the international beta ROM (dated Nov23) and surprised it comes with Google Play Store/apps. Benchmarks indicate its octacore Mediatek SoC runs comparable to last year’s Snapdragon 801.

Cons: No North American LTE support or AWS support so my 3G HSPA only runs at 1.86 Mbps down, 0.96 Mbps up.

Pros: Easily swapped colours for back cover ($2-3US each from Aliexpress/eBay) but light colours like the yellow one (and white) I got pick up grime and discoloration easily. 32GB, great performance, dual nano SIM and microSD.

This is a better value than the OnePlus X.

This phone can’t easily roam to the US on T-Mobile but will serve admirable as a 2nd/3rd tier phone for me with 2 numbers. MIUI 7 is based on Android 5.0x but has the latest security fixes in the ROM I flashed.

This will work great on my $30 no-voice, unlimited texting, 1.33GB data/month plan with Public Mobile in Canada.

Also, it has 5.8 GHz wireless AC!

Ha! I can even get a back that sort of looks like the OnePlus X: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Aluminum-Bumper-Tempered-Glass-Back-Battery-Cover-Case-For-XiaoMi-Redmi-Note-2-/252129070376?hash=item3ab4104d28:g:OmAAAOSwo6lWIdV~

So, ebay is selling the zenfone 2 laser for 199.99. I think this is going to be my present for my wife. It will eventually run marshmallow, has a decent camera and a giant battery. It is an upgrade from her current galaxy s3.

Are there some Android apps that don’t run on x86?

Also up on Amazon for that price. Just bought one for the wife. Looks like an amazing deal, no doubt. Should be good for her usage. Hell, I’d have bought one for myself instead of the N5X at that price.

e: the Laser uses a Qualcomm chip, rather than Intel. Shouldn’t be any issues there.

Does it? I might grab it from Amazon instead. I saw it on New Egg as well.

I’m also looking for a phone to run on ATT, but since I’m adding a line, and ATT wants to throw a ton of credit my way, I may get a phone from ATT Next.

So, for my wife, I’m torn between these two phones.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=75-705-041 - ZTE Axon (Qualcom 800 instead of the newer 801)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=75-220-031 - Asus Laser

Both are 200 dollars, both have 5.5 inch screens and 3000 batteries and 32 gb of space.

Although both have 13mp camera, the Axon comes with a second 2.0 mp for focusing, while the Zenfone 2 laser comes with a laser for auto focusing. The Axon has an 8 mp self camera which will be good for pictures with our toddler.

The Asus comes with Micro SD support and replaceable battery which for me would be more important, but otherwise, these phones aren’t very far apart on features.

Both are acceptable. My wife uses her phone for browsing and pictures, although with a newer phone she might have more uses for it. If she listened to more music, maybe the sd card might be a benefit.

Still, if you have any insight, I’d appreciate it.

Also, I think I’ll grab this for myself

I’ll need to upgrade my LG G2, and I think this will fit the bill nicely as I move from Sprint to ATT (ATT is offering a large credit if I trade in my phone and go with ATT NExt, but every phone they sell is so overpriced, that it isn’t worth it, at least I think so.)

I got my dual SIMs working on my Xiaomi Redmi Note 2. Looks like since only one 3G network can be active, the 2ndary SIM has to be one that works on 2G. Some Canadian carriers never had 2G and only 3G even for voice so I initially couldn’t get service working.

Also got 4 Mbps down/2 Mbps up on HSPA so that’s more than acceptable.

I don’t need the duel sim for anything, do I?

No, only if you want have a need to be reached at two numbers on the same phone.