Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I like how is that picture named:

Buffy maneuver.

No, because Firefly had aired most of its episodes before Fillion ever showed up on BtVS.

I’ve never associated character actors with their roles, so this sort of thing is not a problem for me.

Though I do have momentary cognitive dissonance, on occasion, like doing a double take when seeing Hugo Weaving in the role of Elrond. But that’s because his role as Agent Smith in The Matrix was so iconic. I usually get over it, though.

And Caleb, whatever he was, definitely wasn’t iconic.

Really? So Nathan Fillion as Malcolm Reynolds – another Whedon creation – wasn’t, uh, manly enough for you?

I have no idea what you’re getting at here. I said absolutely nothing about Malcolm Reynolds. Nor even about the relative manliness of Caleb.

That’s a charitable way of putting it. I just finished volumes 4 and 5 and I’d say almost all of both (with one “episode” exception each) has nothing at all to do with the ongoing storyline. Filler, filler, filler!

Paul, I’m glad you enjoyed Buffy, and imma let you finish, but I just got through the last of S7 in my “watch it all together” reviewing, and man, getting through the last two seasons was a total slog.

I always liked seasons 2 and 3, and this time gave me a new appreciation of how good 4 was. Then 5 came along and it wasn’t good, but it was still watchable. It was the beginning of the downward slide into hell(mouth), though, as 6 was, with a handful of exceptions, a lamentable wreck of depression, lack of characters making sense, and a dropping of the metaphor for real life. Then 7 came with an over-the-top ratcheting of GRRRRRLpower, complete emasculation, misogyny and plots that were crammed in due to being canceled, and I seriously don’t know how anyone still liked that series.

Cases in point: There is no real reason for Spike to be on the show post-season 4. I understand that he was a writer and fan favorite (and I liked him, too), but after his role with bringing down the initiative was finished, he realistically should’ve been cut loose or killed after that, given how he was still trying to do evil things in a roundabout fashion. However, Buffy keeps him around and when she’s called on it in S7 (finally), none of the principals care about it. Buffy always gets a free pass on everything, while other characters pay prices.

Willow in S7 is afraid to cast magic because, hey, associated with not only traumatizing event for her but she turned evil as well is called “the witch who won’t” and basically told to (wo)man up. Buffy, meanwhile, who has been acting like a stuck-up bitch most of the season because of her inability to relate to anyone gets called on her shit by everyone else but then goes off and gets sad and Does The Right Thing that swings the tide while everyone else goes off in the wrong direction. Again, she gets a pass on her behavior.

Robin Wood, who was an interesting character and should’ve gone places, instead ends up marginalized and slightly villified because he’s upset that Spike killed his mom. Instead of sympathy, we get “if you touch mah man agin, ah’ll keel yew,” as well as the return of “don’t give a shit” Spike which, while a breath of fresh air from emo/insane Spike, we are supposed to believe is a champion of good on the level of Angel in the finale.

Willow and Kennedy have a big fight that ends the “I’m turning into Warren” episode, making it the dramatic cliffhanger for the week. Then next episode we get Andrew stating “oh, they were having a rough patch but appear to be making up now.” They resolved the big emotional beat from last week between episodes. I don’t know how anyone can not feel cheated by that.

I can go on and on about how much I originally thought S7 was okay compared to S6, but now loathe it, but I’ll stop myself here. How could Xena get something right and Buffy utterly fail at it?

Next up: Angel! I will end my trek on a good note!

Wow I can’t express how glad I am Spike is back (on Angel at least).
I have had more fun in the first 10 minutes of season 5 episode 2 than I had in all of Angel’s previous seasons together (maybe with one exception called Spin the Bottle).

Which is why I liked seasons 6 and 7 of Buffy - can’t get enough Spike and Buffy, no matter how depressing or soapoperaic they get :).

Angel: “Oh yeah, here it comes. The part where you run off alone, play
the big hero, so Buffy’ll take you back.Well, news flash, Blondie Bear, never gonna happen.”
Spike: “Look, I know I don’t have a shot with her, all right? Probably never did.But I still care about her, and I’m not gonna let her end up with a jerk like the Immortal… or you.”
Angel: “Ours is a forever love.”
Spike: “I had a relationship with her too.”
Angel: “Okay, sleeping together is not a relationship.”
Spike: “It is if you do it enough times.”

Angel season 5 is more fun than all previous seasons combined. It is the only season that approaches the greatness of Buffy. And of course Spike is a huge part of that : ).

edit after series finale - wow, that finale was pretty incredible. Perhaps even better than Buffy one. Overall Angel is a worse show, but season 5 was really great and I will rewatch it again with Buffy in the future.For now…comic books have to suffice.

Last night I started watching Angel from scratch, which you might recall starts with Angel pretending to be drunk to get the drop on some vamps. I am then surprised to see that the lead vamp is none other than SAWYER FROM LOST. Yes, Sawyer is the first evil vampire to speak on that show.

I love watching older shows and seeing people in bit parts that have gone on to bigger things since.

See Kal Penn in “Beer Bad.” Admittedly the only good part of that episode was seeing Kumar as one of the “evil corrupters.”

Yeah Sawyer also pleasantly surprised me, I too mentioned it here : ). Though when I saw him I was hoping he would last longer…

Yeah, that was another little “Hey!” moment. Or Anna from “Chuck” being one of the potentials.

Or that episode of Married With Children where Christina Applegate was dating David Boreanaz.

Holy cats.

Or that episode of Wings with Tracy Scoggins!

Just discovered this nice video : ). Damn I want more tv Buffy : /.

So I started Dollhouse, first 4 episodes are not too great, but I heard it improves, so I’ll stick with it. Gellar>Dushku though.

I think episode 6 was the start of the good stuff. first episode by Whedon or something.

Here yo go, Paul.

I’ve seen that and it sucks, I am glad it did not make it. I meant live-action : )