Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Heh - yeah, it’s kinda polarizing. I think I’m in the minority, for sure.

You are the only person I know who hates that episode. Crazy person, that’s what you are.

Is there anything else you hate, so I can know to watch it religiously?

She’s not too big on going on romantic outings with dudes, so you might want to take that up.

wtf heh lol stfu etc

Eventually we’ll be able to communicate entirely in WW2 era one-time pads.

(also, kind of dicky, neh? I was talking about TV)

You could buy the entire Seinfeld series on DVD.

And I should qualify my opinion of OMWF thusly: Plotwise it was important. I just thought the music was terrible.

Yes, I did like Seinfeld - the pattern holds!

‘Terrible’ is a little unfair. I thought the music in OMWF was competent B+ pastiche. With a few A- moments (‘BUNNIES’, the end of the Giles/Amber Benson duet, the bit with the fire engine).

That said it has a bunch of strained moments (those chords in ‘Let Me Rest In Peace’ really don’t work, and the last song’s rhythm only barely makes its point).

My favourite Whedon music is actually the commentary track musical they did for ‘Dr Horrible’ - shit be epic, dog.

I generally agree, although I liked the Dance Demon’s song. Maybe’s that’s because they hired a broadway singer for him.

Once More with Feeling, I thought, was amazing both plotwise and musicwise. Up until that, season six is okay, then it totally takes a nose dive in Tabula Rasa (as soon as everyone gets their memory back, it’s like "Yup, this is the moment where the season turns to shit for a while). It starts getting better with the Wedding episode, but only really gets good again for the final trilogy of episodes.

Shame, really, but hey, if Joss hadn’t left for that time, we’d not have gotten Firefly, so there’s that.

BtVS should have ended with S5, S6 doesn’t really work, and S7 is very clearly a case of people not wanting to do it anymore.

But OMWF was awesome. A singing episode that makes sense, even including the parking song.

Of the season or the show? You’re wrong either way, but there’s a matter of degrees.

OMWF is good on the TV musical scale, but probably unbearable for some people.
I can enjoy Xena’s and Lexx’s musical episodes, I can certainly enjoy OMWF.

Season. It’s not GREAT by any means, but it IS an improvement.

I will say there was one scene there that was exquisite.

“Bored now.”

Wow, finally finished watching again all 7 seasons on Netflicks Instant Streaming and what a ride it was. Doing a marathon like this is the way to do it. So many episodes foreshadow future episodes or call back to previous episodes (sometimes just a single line of dialogue inserted for a laugh) that it was much better watching them all close together, one after the other.

SPOILERS, don’t read if you don’t want to know

Favorite episodes:

The Becoming - Buffy defeats Angelus, but has to kill Angel, all to save the world
Anne - This is the first episode where I think we start to see how powerful Buffy really is as she takes on a horde of demons in a hell dimension
Helpless - Buffy, her powers taken from her by the Watchers Council, has to defeat a powerful insane vampire as an 18th birthday test
The Prom - Buffy is named “Class Protector” showing that everyone at school wasn’t exactly clueless as to what was going on in Sunnydale
Graduation Day - Buffy leads the Sunnydale High Senior Class of 1999? in a fight against the demonic mayor at their graduation ceremony
Hush - JW’s tribute to silent movies? :) And Giles presentation using an overhead projector and stick figures is not to be missed!
The Body - Joyce dies, and no show has ever been more realistic about an unexpected death and it’s impact on those left behind
The Gift - Buffy kicks Glory’s ass, dies (again) and saves the world
Once More, With Feeling - JW’s tribute to musicals? :) and everyone’s secrets are revealed . . . I think I was in heaven . . .
Grave - Xander stops Dark Willow with the only weapon he has, love
Showtime - Buffy, after getting her ass kicked the previous episode by the uber vamp, sets up a confrontation with the uber vamp in front of all of the Potentials, to show them how it’s done.
Chosen - The final episode, the final battle against Evil, with everything on the line. Buffy has no words in the final scene, just a smile.

Favorite moments, emotional highs/lows, great fights:

Buffy, having been tormented by dreams of the dead master who killed her (the first time), emotionally breaks down as she smashes his bones which has been gathered by a group of vamps seeking to resurrect him

The first appearance of Spike and Drusilla

Buffy, jumping to the top of a merchandise counter in the middle of a crowded a mall and using a rocket launcher against a powerful demon just arriving to launch his reign of terror, blowing him to bits (truly one of the most over the top moments in the show!)

Angelus killing Jenny Calendar, totally unexpected (and she was so hot too!)

Buffy’s fight against Angelus, seemingly defeated, catching and stopping Angelus’ sword in her bare hands, then going on to defeat him

Buffy having defeated Angelus, preparing to kill him to seal off a hell dimension, is forced to kill Angel instead as Willow’s spell changes him back from Angelus

Spike and Joyce sharing an awkward moment in the den, when they realize they’ve met before when Joyce hit Spike with an axe in the head as he tried to attack Buffy :)

Buffy and Faith’s knockdown drag out fight to the finish, second best fight of the show

The death of Buffy’s mom.

Buffy, with the Watcher’s Council in town to assess her, tells them off and lays down the law - they work for her, not the other way around! (And Giles gets back pay in the deal! :) )

Buffy’s tombstone: She saved the world - a lot

Buffy’s fight with Dark Willow, third best fight of the show

Xander saves the world from Dark Willow with the only weapon he had, love

Buffy, alone, after getting her ass kicked by the uber vamp. She looks horrible, eyes blackened, bruises on her face, a big gash on one side, puffy lips, the worst she’s ever looked on the show after a fight. She’s listening to her friends despairing of what to do . . . Buffy was our plan. There is no back up . . . She gets up, then marches in and give the gutsiest speech she ever gives on the show:

I’m beyond tired. I’m beyond scared. I’m standing on the mouth of hell, and it is gonna swallow me whole. And it’ll choke on me. We’re not ready? They’re not ready. They think we’re gonna wait for the end to come, like we always do. I’m done waiting. They want an apocalypse? Oh, we’ll give 'em one. Anyone else who wants to run, do it now. 'Cause we just became an army. We just declared war. From now on, we won’t just face our worst fears, we will seek them out. We will find them, and cut out their hearts one by one, until The First shows itself for what it really is. And I’ll kill it myself. There is only one thing on this earth more powerful than evil, and that’s us. Any questions?

Buffy, defeating the uber vamp, best fight of the entire show. I love this one because Buffy won this on sheer determination. Towards the end of the fight, after pretty much being beaten down, she’s still standing there toe to toe with the uber vamp, trading blows, boom, boom, boom, neither one fazing the other until the uber vamp finally goes down, and then Buffy maneuvers into position to take it’s head off with a garrote she’s fashioned with wire. At the end she looks almost as bad as after her previous fight with the uber vamp, but the difference is this time she’s alive and it’s dead . . . Here endeth the lesson

Buffy losing her leadership of the Potentials after a disastrous initial foray against Caleb, the minion of the First. She was in total shock and disbelief, and then emotionally crushed because everyone, even her friends (except for Spike) and sister doubted her and turned against her when she wanted to attack again, realizing that Caleb was protecting something. In the end, she’s proven right and has to rescue everyone (as usual) but she has to go through this crisis of leadership first.

I could go on and on, and I’ve probably missed something I’ll think of later, but this was just a great show, really one of the best shows ever on television.

Agree with all of that. I’ll overlook you forgetting “Passion” as a stand-out episode, particularly given your love for the Angelus/Buffy storyline :)

Someone who has two S7 episodes on a favorite Buffy episodes list is clearly someone of poor taste. :D

Hehehe, to each his own. Great series, regardless.

Your’re right. Went and looked back, didn’t remember it by name. What Angelus did to Giles was one of the most wicked twisted purely evil things I’ve seen done on television. The horror was only amplified because the viewer knew exactly what was goingon while Giles was blissfully (and truly blissfully given what he thought was happening) ignorant. Should have made my list for that moment alone.

No Zeppo on the fave list?