Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I dunno, I think Charisma Carpenter looks better NOW, but I’ve a massive crush on her so…

In the case of Nicholas Brendan, he’s had a rocky life since Buffy. He worked on various shows (most notable Criminal Minds for 7 seasons) but his work dropped off when he had some personal issues. Alcoholism, arrests, and drugs. He went to rehab and supposedly got straightened out a bit, but last year he fell off the wagon during a Comic Con in Iowa. (I don’t think it was anything major. Just the typical 12-step stumble that most recovering addicts have.

I think James Marsters was already ancient (late 30s!) when he was doing Buffy, so he’s probably further down the hill than the rest of the cast.

What happened to Giles?

He’s in a play in London so couldn’t make it. EDIT: info here

Xander looks eerily like a young Bruce Campbell from that video shoot.

Always did.

I’ve rewatched several times over the years. Season 1 is just a slog. You need to either skip it or power through to 2.

Yeah, I like all of Buffy (edit: except S7) but S1 is definitely a case of the show finding its footing. I’d say the show kicks into the next gear first with School Hard, and then with Innocence, both in S2.

In most ways the show gets much better beyond Season 2 even, but the finale of Season 2 has an operatic intensity that I don’t think was ever equalled.

I’ve started rewatching this recently, along with the excellently-named podcast “Buffering the Vampire Slayer”, an episode-by-episode recap of the show that each week ends with a new song written about that week’s episode.

They are currently most of the way through season two, and I love it - married couple Jenny Owen Youngs and Kristin Russo are very funny, have great chemistry, and enthusiasm to spare. They are thoughtfully critical of BtVS - they have a running gag about trying to limit the number of times they mention THE PATRIARCHY to once per episode, if you were wondering about the sociopolitical viewpoint - but with an obvious underlying love of the show. They’ll nearly always pick up on things I miss, and at the very least be thought provoking and it deepens my appreciation of the show. And the songs are great. I’m rambling now, but tl;dr: recommended.

Writer Monica Breen, who worked with Whedon on ABC’s Agents of SHIELD, has been hired to pen the adaptation and serve as showrunner on the reboot.

Whedon will be an exec producer on the series and has been working with Breen on the script, which features a black actress stepping into the role of Buffy made famous by Gellar.

Gail Berman, Joe Earley, Fran Kazui and Kaz Kazui (who produced Whedon’s original Buffy film that inspired the TV series) will also serve as exec producers on the potential series. A network is not yet attached for the new Buffy, talks for which began last fall. Producers Fox 21 TV Studios will pitch the Buffy re-do to streaming and cable outlets later this summer in a package bound to ignite a bidding war.

I hope it gets off to a quicker start than the original show. I LOVE Buffy, but season 1 is so rough.

Time to bring back Kendra Young.

Wait so they like, want to reboot it so it will star a character called “Buffy Summers”, but this time she will be black? What kind of a moronic idea is that?

Create a new character. Or yeah, bring back Kendra Young.

And make a sequel, not a reboot.

Nice, apparently they do realize that it would be moronic idea to recast Buffy.

Good! Making it a reboot was asinine. But a new show in the Buffyverse, sure!

Thank god, seriously.

Now we can have cameos!

I am tooottttalllly fine with that.

Hell yeah, I am in for a non-reboot continuation of that universe.

Didn’t Buffy end with there being hundreds of Slayers? I wonder how they’ll address that.

This one will take place 10 years before TOS, and she’ll be Buffy’s other surprise sibling.