Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Oh man, Hush was really something else! The Giles’s Fairy Tale presentation…I was almost literally rolling on the floor laughing :D

Hush is absolutely fantastic but also kind of embematic of the problem with later seasons of Buffy- Whedon seemed to lose interest in arc of the show itself and instead put his time and energy into very high concept episodes instead (though to be fair the same could probably be said about Dopplegangland and Season 3 was still awesome).

I loved the first half of S4 Buffy. I thought they handled the change to college well and the humor was fantastic. I think I actually cheered when I saw that Spike had become a regular. It stumbled pretty badly in the second half though. Season 5 was much better.

Angel (the show) doesn’t really get an identity of it’s own until toward the end of Season 1.

Yeah so far I loved all Buffy seasons, though the first one was weakest (still good), and my favourite is probably the fourth one so far - I am lauging every episode. And I can’t get enough Spike…that character is really incredibly hilarious. I am glad it will get even better, especially Angel, because really so far I am always looking forward to Buffy while watching Angel (with some exceptions like the crossover episode).

Oh yeah, I enjoyed just about every single episode of Buffy (well there were a few in Season 6…) so while I didn’t like Season 4 nearly as much as Seasons 2&3, it was still fantastic to me. Everyone’s experience is different anyway so don’t let anyone poison your opinions of the show. I know mine are definitely unusual (I loved both Buffy Season 7 and Angel Season 4 and a lot of people really hate both).

Angel is interesting because it’s clearly a show that they didn’t think through initially. With Buffy, even though they struggled in Season 1 to get the execution right, Whedon had a very clear idea from the outset of who the characters were and what the basic format of the show would be. With Angel it’s like they decided they wanted to do a spinoff but they didn’t know what it would be. So a lot of the first season is like a cross between a C-rate X-Files spinoff and Touched by an Angel and it’s only watchable because the Whedon-style humor is there.

That’sa perfect way to put it.Angel is cool and everything, but he is no Buffy…and the story stuff just isn’t that interesting yet. plus Cordelia…I kind of liked her when she was on Buffy as a contrast to other characters, but her being one of mains…I don’t really like her so far all that much.

And that pregnancy episode I just watched was creeeeeeepy.

I quite liked her on Buffy (and thought she was wasted in Season 3) but she really comes into her own on Angel IMO. In fact I’d go as far to say that every Buffy alum who shows up on Angel for a decent period of time becomes a better character on that show than they were before.

I still can’t decide whether I liked Wes’ transition from foppish sissy to stubbled Marlboro Man. I remember an interview with Denisof in which he said they couldn’t keep the character the way he was forever, but I just found it a little hard to swallow.

Because, of course, everything else on that show made perfect logical sense.

Wes’ transformation is my single favorite thing in all of Buffy and Angel-dom. I thought it was totally organic and never felt forced.

Just for the record - this is yet to happen, right? I am in episode 18 of Angel S1 and Buffy S4.

And few minutes ago I just watched Giles Hush presentation again with this scene and almost died laughing.

Nah, not yet, give it a season or two.

Unrelated, though, somebody just gave birth to Gina Torres and I saw Captain Reynolds dressed like Shepherd Book earlier today. Hah. So I looked into IMDB and noticed Adam Baldwin will show up later on and we’ve already seen Summer Glau dancing away.

Me too. Wesley was always highly intelligent and well trained, but his relationship with his father prevented him from realizing his potential for a long time. Even working with Angel hindered his growth, but he stands on his own eventually.

Ok Restless is my new favourite episode. One of the best total random WTFs I have ever seen.

“I am a comfortador”

or

“Why are you living in the walls?”

or Giles and his song. And the opening with Willow. Damn I love these wtf episodes.Better finale than the actual Primeval finale (though I admit, that gatling gun was cool : )).Reminded me of Test Dream and Join the Club on Sopranos.

edit - oh and I love soundtracks that remind me of the best game ever.

Yeah, I love that Giles song.

“I’ve got to warn Buffy!
There’s every chance she might be next.
Willow and Xander–
Try not to bleed on my couch,
I just had it steeeam cleaned.”

Aaaaaaand of course this was written and directed by Wheddon. I will have to watch Dollhouse and Dr. Horrible next so that my Wheddon experience is complete.

“Restless” and “Hush” are my two favorite Buffy episodes. They are why Season 4 is my favorite, despite horrible eps like “Beer Bad” and “Where the Wild Things Are.”

Yep, mine too so far.I also did not care about Beer bad, but Where the wild things are I did not dislike (but didn’t love either).

In other news, I just watched Alexander split in two, and holy crap - that last minute when Riley says “she doesn’t love me” was…something.

Also what is the deal with Dawn? I hope they will explain her sometime soon, because her sudden appearance where everyone treats her as if she was part of their lives forever is quite confusing.

The confusion is intended. Dawn will be explained.

Of course, now that you’ve explained it, the intended confusion has been dispelled. Good job breaking it hero.

No harm done, I just watched the episode and THEN went here and read it : ).
They explained it pretty well.
Other favourite moments:

“What are you doing here? FIVE WORDS OR LESS.”

"OUT.FOR A WALK.

BITCH."

Gotta love Spikey.

And the fact that those monks for some reason spoke some weird slavic combination of languages (when that sexy abomination tortured him, he said “Zabij mne” which in czech means “kill me”, but other times I could not make out what they were saying).

Overall I like this season so far.

edit - oh man I just rewatched the torture scene and she really says in czech “we are in a new world so for gods sake speak american” but that pronounciation is one of the most hilarious things I have ever heard :D

Spike was my fav. I bought a replica leather trench and went as him for halloween a few years back.

That is awesome. Almost makes me wish we celebrated halloween over here.