Buh bye Google G-Suite free legacy edition...

It had to happen…

The free ride ends 7/1/22.

While my main email is not using the free edition, I have my parents and a couple of emails I use for online accounts, amazon, etc on legacy free custom domain accounts.

I definitely will be moving to a new provider. An overdue change, I suppose.

Yeah, this sucks. I’ve been using it for over a decade. I certainly won’t be paying a whopping six dollars a month just to keep my email there!

I’ll likely keep the ones I have, and hopefully be able to pay yearly for the service.

Err, what does this mean exactly. No more free gmail, google docs and drive?

Only if you have your own domain at google, otherwise don’t worry about it.

If you’re just using a Gmail account, this is not relevant. This is only if you have a custom domain hosted by Google that you made about 10 years ago when they offered free hosting.

I’m really really not happy about this. I don’t really care about email, I already pay for Microsoft 365 for other reasons so I’ll probably just migrate to that. I was mostly concerned since it would mean losing my google play purchases, Youtube account, etc…

It appears that once the account is upgraded to workspace and then suspended in July it should only lose access to “core” services, so mail and calendar. Though we’ll see how true and painless that actually ends up.

Hopefully Google offers some way to downgrade those accounts to standard ones before the deadline comes, but my guess is they won’t. Screw us if we don’t want to pay $6/month to essentially use the completely free gmail service, just with our own domain.

Dodged a bullet there, have my domain with GoDaddy (yes I know, inertia), but otherwise using the freebie G-suite legacy edition (or whatever Google decided to call it). I didn’t get an email saying my G-suite isn’t free anymore. Fingers crossed that will never end.

It is not as if I use much of the G-suite functionality on that account anyway, it is just an email address with a custom domain. If they start charging I probably will just pay rather than move to e.g. Office365.

It will, that’s what this is about. Same here, just use it for email with my domain and I’ll be damned if they get $6/month out of me for that.

I plan to sit on this for a couple months, there will be guides and such explaining the best possible solution. Worst case scenario, I can probably get the base edition for 125 indian rupees per month over a VPN, which is $1.68. Might be worth that just to avoid the aggravation, although it’ll really piss me off to pay it.

Zoho Mail is free if you have your own domain. I used that for some other project. Free is always good, but there are limits to email sent every month IIRC. For personal email it isn’t going to be a problem.

I haven’t yet received the warning email, but I imagine they’re staging those. None of my domains are actually on Google domain hosting. I doubt that’s the deciding factor. I also just have 1 or 2 email addresses in any given domain. I know some folks run businesses w/ 100+ addresses off those accounts. I’ll just move to a cheap alternative solution if need be for mail hosting. It’s more of a pain just to export data and move hosting, but not the end of the world.

I’ve been using it with my domains for over a decade. I’ll likely pay for it since I’m so entrenched at this point.

For $6/month, no. But if I can pay in rupees and feel like I’m screwing Google for screwing me, maybe.

The real rub is you are paying $6 a month for less features than a free Google account has. Nest keeps nagging me to convert my Nest account to a Google account, but they won’t let me because Gsuite/Workspace accounts are blocked. There are all type of “OK Google” features that I get explicitely told are not available for my account type (despite them used to working several years back).

So why would I pay $6 a month? Even if I wanted the extra space I could cancel workspace which should hopefully turn my google account back to a free google account, which would then allow me to sign up for Google One and get 100GB of space for $20 a YEAR or $1.99 a month (google workspace $6 plan only gives you 30Gb). Hell for $30 a year or $2.99 a month you can get 200GB storage, over 6x the google workspace amount.

Nothing about paying for google workspace makes any sense, which makes this much more frustrating.

It doesn’t, if you cancel it’s goneskies.

This all makes perfect sense if you consider that Google decided to kill the product and wants us to either a) pay them or b) fuck off.

THat’s not true based on the link I posted above to their own documentation

Impact to services after you cancel Google Workspace

You lose access to core Google Workspace services, such as Gmail, Calendar, Meet, and more.
You still have access to Additional Google services, such as YouTube, Google Photos, and Google Ads.

Right, you lose gmail. We all have it for mail to our domains, right?

Right but I"m talking about for non-mail purposes, since if you have your own domain it’s pretty trivial to switch email providers.

It appears you still have your google account which can theoretically still sign up for google one for photo storage and all the other things that I rely on my google account for.

Why would you pay for extra stuff on a castrated account without gmail? Just make a new consumer account and use that.