Building a computer with Nvidia 8800? Help please?

So I decided to buy a 8800 GTS now. In fact, I’m going to be building a whole new computer, so…

Do I need a special motherboard for the 8800 GTS? What would be a good one (I will buy a E6600 Core 2 Duo, so it needs to support that)? I’m not planning to buy a second GTS or probably do SLI ever, although 3 monitors in the future would be nice (or is that just a pipe dream?). I will have 2 monitors now, and there’s 2 DVI ports so that should work.

Do I need any special power supplies? There used to be days where it was just a simple matter of wattage, but now it looks like there’s smaller and bigger versions of the cables, some kind of 12A rails and so on. Any ideas?

Cases, is there just still an ATX and mini ATX, or has this gotten different? How can I tell what kind of fans I should buy for a case, so I can max out my cooling (overheating == bad)? I’ll probably want an Antec.

Thanks guys!

No, you don’t need a special motherboard. Any pci-e will work. As for recommendations, assuming you’re going to overclock:

mobo: p5b-deluxe non-wifi
cpu: e6400
hsf: thermaltake big typhoon
case: antec p180
psu: silverstone 500w (or antec trio 550, doesn’t really matter too much)
videocard: any 8800gts, they are identical. shop by price.
ram: 2GB of any 1.8v ddr533 with micron chips, or just pay for ddr800

Don’t buy any extra fans.

I decided to invest the money instead.

Personally, I’m fan of the Zalman heatsink combos. They run nice and quiet, which is a plus for me, but they also do a great job of keeping my CPU cool. Some of them are so bulky, however, that they won’t fit on certain motherboards. If you want a quiet system, I’d recommend it, but be sure to check for compatibility.

The zalman 9500 is great too. I always cut my hand on those tiny fins though, and the big typhoon has the distinct advantage of blowing air downwards toward the CPU rather than sideways across the heatsink fins, which also coold off the northbridge and capacitors and such. Overclocking a c2d is very northbridge-dependent, you need to keep it cool.

Cool, here’s what I’ve come up with so far, taking stusser’s suggestions into consideration:

• Antec Performance I P180 Silver cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
  • PNY VCG88GTSXPB GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
  • ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT ATX12V 500W Power Supply - Retail
  • G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Standard System Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail
  • ASUS P5B Deluxe Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail

The black p180 tends to be a newer model with a slightly different build and better front door. Also I think it’s less fugly… the p180 is probably the best case you can buy technically but the looks aren’t so hot. Beyond that, looking good.

Note that the black version of the P180 has the front door made of the same sound-deadening plastic/metal/plastic as the side panels, whereas the silver one just has a thin plastic front door.

Dude, I so beat you to that.

I have the silver P180, and it has a flimsy front fla … goddamit you guys. ><

Aggh, outleaned at the tape! ;-)

Yah, me too. It’s always open though, so the lack of sound shielding is moot.

Igor: for comparison, see my post on pre-built systems with similar specs.

hsf: Scythe Infinity, with 2 slow turning fans I know nothing that comes even close

Wouldn’t you rather invest the money in the future of your chilluns? It’s be outdated by this time next year!

You shut your filthy wordhole, MacWhore! When I can buy a video card released in the last two years on a Mac, then you may speak about gaming! Meanwhile, go back to fellating Jobs!

;-P

</MS fanboy mode>

I’m wondering if I should use the step-up on my evga 7900 GTO in a couple months.

You can only use eVGA’s step-up program within 90 days of your original purchase.

Well, uh, see, I build mah own PC’s fer PC gaming and duh Mac is the wife’s. So, bite me, MS Fanboy!

Right, I have 79 days left. Heh. Hence, a couple of months.