Building a deck of deckbuilders

Wow. It did not look at all like like a cheap game. It’s certainly not perfect either. The ranger looks to be completely overturned, for instance.

One thing I forgot to mention that I thought was neat is that the skills you learn can have prerequisite cards in one or both hands. Using the skill then moves those cards to the discard pile. Thought that was an interesting way to keep more basic cards interesting and relevant well into a run.

Been playing a bunch of Griftlands, Gordian Quest and some Monster Slayers again. Also fired up Fights in Tight Spaces and it’s a lot of fun, but tuned a bit hard for me so far.

Monster Slayers is great! Probably my favorite deck builder.

Saw this on the Steam Game Festival. “From the Devlopers of Faeria and Richard Garfield.”
The art work looks very in line with Faeria and there’s a demo for those interested.

Planning to try that demo today. The exploration mechanic is rather appealing to me. Basically, the pages of the book are on hexagonal maps with fog of war. You have a certain number of uses of an ability that uncovers the area around you, but you also pick up different abilities to uncover the fog from battle. Those might be different shapes, for instance, a line of 5 here’s in a row. If you don’t uncover the map efficiently, you will miss out on gold and upgrade opportunities and not scale up your deck to be able to handle the boss.

This video illustrates it really well, as he gets roflstomped at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRo6aqcotoM

I just saw the video. That looks really good

The exploration stuff is really compelling, and far more unique than the combat itself. The one run I did, it felt super limiting and I had to think really carefully about how to use brushes (which is by design).

People who don’t like randomness are likely to be put off by this. The only way to get more brushes that I have seen is from elite battles. You are only guaranteed one of those and may not find others. Of course, we can’t see the entire progression tree; it is possible you get to add more brushes through there, which would mitigate that somewhat.

The game feels pretty hard starting out. OTOH, I think I beat three elite battles and went into the boss fight at really low health, but still managed to put a dent in It. I know there is an upgrade in the park tree that adds a heart to the map. I found one. Not sure what the base number is.

Shouldn’t be playing card games :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just pointing it out

Lol, yeah. I read far too many reviews where people complaining having to start over in Roguelikes/lites.

Sorry if I was being too cheeky.

Nah, it’s fine, it just seemed notable to me (as a significant layer of randomness atop the cards themselves, map generation, etc). I like the idea, because I think it will make each run feel more unique, but others may not.

Something the game doesn’t tell you it’s that you can choose who is the lead character art any time from the Screen with the tier bonuses by clicking the portraits at the top.

The alchemist is expensive, but also super strong. You can change a basic card into something better and slot it with one of three offered gems

You gotta be kidding me:

I have uninstalled the demo and removed this from my wishlist. I encourage others to do the same. Quite a shame because I really was enjoying this.

I don’t think I understand. Isn’t this just another way of time-limiting a demo? Sure you can preorder to get rid of it, but it’s a demo and inherently limited anyway.

Yeah, that just looks like “you have reached the end of the demo” to me.

Faeria was a good game that had support end abruptly. Very skeptical on this one given the anger from Faeria community and their finances.

No, it isn’t. That would have been perfectly fine. If the demo had simply ended there, this probably would have been a day one purchase for me.

You can continue playing, but if you haven’t preordered, you are hamstrung from playing in any meaningful way. I don’t think I’ve ever gone from such a positive impression to such a negative one so quickly when playing a game.

That sounds a positive, not a negative thing to me. It means you can play a bit more than if the demo had a hard wall saying ‘demo is over’.

Clearly I’m in the minority here.

I also see nothing wrong with it, just allows you to either continue playing in a limited way for free or to keep playing if you bought it. Not sure what the problem is. Short or timed or gated demos are not odd and definitely don’t trigger me.

Yeah, so the demo is over but you can keep playing with restrictions despite that.

I feel like I’m missing something here.

Has anyone tried Against the Moon?