Building a deck of deckbuilders

Thanks for the review! Removing this from my bloated wishlist.

Releases July 30th, but Steam has a demo now.

Banner of Ruins left Early Access

Ah, that’s why one of my favorite streamers was playing it today.

Who might that be?

I haven’t been completely sold on this one from previous footage I’ve seen, but will definitely give it another look, especially since those guys are bound to do a series

Thanks! It’s hard to find streamers that cater to a niche.

If you are looking for more that do roguelights, also give Rhapsody and Retromation a try.

I watched some footage myself and it didn’t look that great. But what do I know? I thought Trials of Fire wasn’t that good at first glance. I think it belong on the top tier of games now.

Heh. I still need to get around to playing Trials more. Anyway, it’s possible this is one of those faces that just feels better to play than watch. Happens to me on occasion.

This just came on my feed. It just went out of Early Access.
Overwhelmingly Positive reviews.

And on gamepass, fyi

holy fuck is that game incomprehensible.

I played a little bit of Library of Ruina.

I feel like I should have a multitude of question marks circling my head.

lol. I watch a video describing how to play the game and I’m confused too. If you get to play more please let me know what you think.

You need to get completely sold on this one! Well, I am freaking loving it anyhoo. I posted a terrible review on Steam, sharing here.

Review, lazy version! If you like one or more of these other games, you will probably also like Banners of Ruin!

Monster Slayers, Slay the Spire, Gordian Quest, Monster Train Roguebook, Blood Cards, Tainted Grail, Trials of Fire.

Okay, offering a bit more. Banners of Ruin has a ‘three act’ structure followed by a series of boss fights that is very similar to that seen in Slay the Spire. However a lot of the gameplay is in the tactical battles and here it is very, very different to Slay the Spire, and has some similarities with Gordian Quest. The tactical battles are neither light nor quick. They do begin that way, but battles towards the end of a run are longer, challenging and demanding.

I adore tactical battling games and find that Banners of Ruin has a very credible, mostly very enjoyable tactical combat layer. There is absolutely opportunity to compensate somewhat for a weaker deck and less fortunate random outcomes within a run by clever positioning, synergy, defence and offence within the combats. Bravo.

Another big feature, a plus from my perspective, is that big fat decks appear very viable. It is not necessary to try and trim a deck for brutal consistency. This makes deck building more fun! More relaxed too. There are lots of opportunities to add to and modify your deck within each run, combined with multiple characters, so the game is definitely good for several fun runs.

There is meta-progression too, in the form of unlocks of new units to play with, and new abilities for those units. There is no direct choice of what you unlock, it just happens.

This game has stolen me away from Roguebook, which is another fantastic deck-building card battle, so . . . it is good!

I claim my credibility credits from discovering and appreciating and recommending Trials of Fire from waay waay early within its Early Access, it was fantastic really early on.

Let me use that credibility to recommend Banners of Ruin. I could not rate the combat as equal to Trials of Fire, but heck, it is also ‘one of the best’ forms of combat I have found within a deck-building card battler. I prefer it to that within Gordian Quest, which is also strong.

You know I was done buying games? You know you were the person that convinced me to buy Trials? I was going to 100% Neoverse next but now I have to try Banner…

With Banners of Ruin you can maker a killer team out of Mice and Weasels.

I played up through the first battle in Ruina. That musical number…those are all English words, and they are in the correct places for their parts of speech, but it was comically nonsensical. What a deeply strange game. Korea puts out some of the weirdest shit.