Building a new machine (also, USB naming can die in a fire)

That GPU makes me weep.

Don’t build your own, GPUs are too overpriced. Buy a pre-built.

I found it way too tough to get a decent GPU right now, so last month I went with a prebuilt from NZXT.
They’re out of your price range of $1200, but here’s one from Newegg for $1149 with a decent GPU upgrade over your 1660:

I’m sure there’s other, better prebuilt deals out there for under $1200…

Yeah, the extra $450 for the PC I listed gets you an actual great computer (other than being fugly), but Hideous’ link is certainly better than what the Penny listed.

The 1660 super is a good part! For half that price.

I would try really hard to get an RTX2060 minimum, for DLSS support.

Thanks! That’s exactly what I was hoping to find. I looked through all sorts of custom build sites last night but couldn’t find a single one that offered a decent GPU within budget. The 2060 will do nicely.

And yeah, $500 for a 1660 Super is a joke.

Egg Shuffle is going on $399 for a RTX3060, if you win. :P

Yeah, in a sane world, you’d be p putting a 3060ti in a $1200 dollar machine

I’ll also agree with the pre-built approach; DIY us best for a normal stock availability world, which we don’t yet live in.

He’s eager to just have his system (which he ordered already). The 2060 should suffice since he only plans on playing in 1920x1080.

I’ll almost certainly skip this generation of cards. My 2080 Ti still handles just about everything I throw at it, and if I’m going to be spending $1000~ on a card, I’m gonna be wanting to at least double my performance.

That CPU cooler, I will have nightmares.

It’s nuts because that case look ginormous, except you open it up and find out it’s really a smallish ATX tower inside.

Why???

It used to be that Alienware was overpriced not an outright ripoff. It appears to be a normal mATX case with pieces of plastic glommed onto it to make it puff up into ATX dimensions. They use an Intel backplate to mount a puny stock Intel cooler to let it run at 100C idle.

Because for Alienware cool looking cases have always been a thing, but apparently under Dell, running cool is no longer a thing.

That CPU cooler is basically identical to what shipped with a Core 2 Duo in 2008.

Hey, that’s the Alienware case I have. I should watch that video. Hmmm, or maybe it will just make me mad/stressed out. Maybe I shouldn’t watch what the inside of my alienware looks like. Ignorance is bliss.

Yeah, you mentioned in another thread that your CPU was running really hot. It will most likely make you mad, but you should watch the video. It may have the explanation, if not a solution.

Actually, Steve did hint at the solution: water cooling. Looks like space is tight in there, it may be the only replacement cooler type that fits.

Yeah, I had a 7700K with a stock cooler and no case fans and it was fine, once I started caring about these things I had to mess around fitting a proper cooler.

On the other hand while you could just about get away with it back then I’m not sure you can get away with it if you have an 8 core processor, like the one in that video.