Building a new machine (also, USB naming can die in a fire)

If your power supply is modular, I suspect a cable adaptor will appear that will make the new connector work.

Sure, but if it really uses 550w you’ll probably want an 850w PSU minimum.

Agreed about PCIe 4.0 and gaming; the difference will be miniscule if it even exists with anything out today and 3.0 isn’t bottlenecking any current GPU at all. Of course, that might be different a few years from now. My current motherboard is 9 years old, so future-proofing is something to consider for someone like me.

Seeing the price and contents of the build above (a mid range similar to the one I built recently), I very much doubt paying $1000 dollars for a super high end, theoretical GPU that would use 500W is any kind of relevant consideration.

And, in a generation or 2, similar power will be available at a fraction of the price and power consumption, as it always is. The build discussed is not trying to be the be all end all ultimate gaming PC. So the power supply should not be a concern.

For reference, that was the build:

I wasn’t talking about the OP’s build specifically, that was generally speaking about the upcoming RTX3090.

How discounted vs current new price is that used 2070 going to be? In particular, what is your cost for used 2070 + $150 for a temporary card vs just buying a new 2070?

After some of the opinions expressed here I think my new plan is to reuse my current graphics card and wait until my friend upgrades to buy his. So I’m saving that $150!

I’d say that’s a good decision!

Agreed.

Yes, USB has become nonsense in the extreme.

Fearing a run on parts soon, I ordered a bunch of stuff for my build. I have everything on the way except SSDs, cpu, and gpu

That seems like a good move. I can imagine a run on good PSUs, especially.

The PSU was the one thing I had already bought, because the Corsair SF750 has been tough to find without paying through the nose. But I have now bought case, mobo, memory, AIO, and fans

Now you guys got me all paranoid that I need to grab the pieces of my new machine ASAP. I hate you all (uh, both).

Don’t worry, you won’t be able to find a new gfx card in stock till 2021. ;)

Well, in my case, there were some very specific parts I wanted, and some that have already been difficult to find (psu and b550 ITX mobos). If my case sold out, it could be months waiting for the next batch. I grabbed the memory because the price dropped 18 bucks.

Yeah, I should probably be monitoring prices so I can snag any good deals, although I’m now worried that my work buddy (whose 2070 I’m buying) won’t have his 3080 until next year… I want to play Cyberpunk with my new machine so that doesn’t work for me!

Same, but I’m waiting on zen 3 CPUs and 3070 availability.

Last decent rumor I heard was an October announcement for Zen 3 and November availability. That and a 3080 (or Big Navi if it’s worth it) will be my new build.

I’m looking at something similar. The RTX 3080 is basically a lock for me at this point but AMD may very well win me back over with the Zen 3. I loved my AMD Athlon CPUs back in the day but haven’t owned one since Intel pulled so far ahead with the Core 2 Duo.