Building a PC in 2017

I don’t discount the incompatibility issue, except that it’s working with an older monitor cable right now.

Whatever the reason, I’d have never even imagined without asking someone else to get outside my brain.

So thanks everyone!

Sounds like an EDID issue. Your old monitor cable might be borderline with passing the signal, but once the video card recognized the monitor EDID it will persist it under X conditions. I actually bought a EDID emulator for just these type of situations, and amusingly enough once everything is stable I usually unplug it until I need it again.

The ASUS Strix Z270E has a USB3.1 (gen2) front panel connector:

Are there any front panels available that plug into this?

Looking at getting one because plugging my existing 3.0 front panel into the 3.0 connector on this board renders the machine inoperable!

The hell us USB 3.1?!?

Looking at this article:

It seems that the GPU is still the largest bottleneck at 1440p and above at the highest settings, it seems that any CPU from the last 3 years will hold it’s own with a decent GPU.

That is what I’ve been saying forever, and why the “RYZEN AINT GOOD FOR GAMERS” narrative is so fucking bonkers and utterly wrong.

Ryzen is fine for gaming but it doesn’t target gamers particularly well. The 8-core R7 and 6-core R5s offer more cores than current games will use. They’re just a waste. The i5-7600 smokes the 4c RX-1500X at the same price-- and it also smokes the 6c 1600X for 20% less money.

Also intel CPUs will overclock like crazy and Ryzen doesn’t. You can get an i5-7600k and overclock it to nigh 4.8-5Ghz.

Long story short, if you do stuff that benefits from >4 physical cores Ryzen is a super attractive proposition. If not, not.

It isn’t complete garbage like previous AMD efforts. It’s the best choice for certain use cases. Gaming is not one of them.

My point is that CPU is basically irrelevant, assuming Broadwell-ish IPC.

True that the cores will “go to waste” on games, but you could put almost anything reasonable in your CPU socket these days and get 60fps at 1080p and 1440p.

By “smokes” you mean “delivers 120fps!”, I guess? I dunno. Pointless.

You’re missing the bigger picture here. While plebs like you are playing games at 60fps 1080p, I’ll be opening and closing a to-do list more rapidly than your fragile little mind can even comprehend.

Well, wake me up when Android gets remotely close to this threshold. I was talking to someone yesterday who works high up at Google on V8 on some issues with Chrome Canary and he said, and I quote (I’ll just copy and paste out of twitter chat with him)

there’s been some talking among Android SOC vendors, and it seems that Android devices won’t get close to [Apple iOS hardware performance] in the next 5 years

FIVE. FUCKING. YEARS.

For someone who started a business in 2012 on the (entirely reasonable) premise that smartphones from 2012 onward would get to darn near laptop / desktop performance levels over time… that’s been true from 2012-2017 on the iOS side, and we’re damn close today with the iPhone 7 much less the 8, but 🖕 on the Android side (largely due to Qualcomm, to be fair). That is some serious incompetence.

Pretty sure AMD performance has trailed Intel for longer than five years.

But you’re ignoring the broader point of the comparison – is it or is it not permissible to accept performance that meets the needs of your own personal usage, when a competing product achieves substantially higher performance?

Sure, in two decades when the mobile ecosystem is where the PC ecosystem is today – saturated, and all the low hanging perf fruit is long gone.

It is an open question what comes next after phones.

Personally, I just enjoy choices. When I make my purchase, always price to performance at my price point.

https://www.dan-cases.com/

A4-SFX V2 available to kickstart in 4 days, roughly. Changes from V1:

• Cover for GPU mount area
  • Better alignment of USB port
  • Stamp-in motherboard stand-offs
  • 92mm fan or AIO mount point
  • Rubber case feet with better grip
  • Optional Window Kit for both sides

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4770/amd-sets-world-overclocking-record-with-8429ghz-bulldozer-processor

Nobody cared then. Nobody cares now.

fin.

That’s pretty cool actually. I mean real world application it’s not that spiffy for end-users but 8ghz is pretty impressive! Well more than pretty impressive, literally record breaking.

Yes, with liquid helium. Not nitrogen, helium. It was just AMD marketing trying to bamboozle the market. Bulldozer was a terrible architecture.

Ryzen is actually great, on desktop at least-- and AMD hasn’t misled anyone about its performance. They came straight up and said it was Broadwell-class IPC with more core for less money.

Ok the kickstarter is live, I ordered this time

That was a fast 100%.

Wonder what exactly is the difference between NCASE and DAN comapred to the other SFF cases that weren’t able to get off the ground from KS at similar $200 pricepoints.

Well they already proved their product was real, and awesome.