Building cheapo gaming rig - Need advice

My 10 year old has a computer that’s almost as old as he is–an HP with integrated graphics that I can’t update drivers on anymore. It’s starting to freeze up with 3D games like Minecraft. He really wants a new computer for Christmas, but I can’t spend too much more than $300. (He has a monitor and I think his SSD&HDD will be transferable. But I assume I can’t use the HP case because it’s just not built to be upgradeable.)

He doesn’t need to run Far Cry or anything, just stuff like Minecraft and 2D indies. So I turned to the PC Gamer buying guides which have served me pretty well in the past. In their budget PC guide, they had an extra-budget option at the bottom.

Based off that, Here’s what I’m thinking of getting. I have some specific questions below and would love some general advice or alternative suggestions:

Ryzen 3 2200G - Processor and GPU combined

Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H - Motherboard

Kingston Technology HyperX Fury White 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 CL18 DIMM1Rx8 - Memory

Rosewill case

EVGA power supply

Questions:

• I keep reading about BIOS update complications with this setup, but I can’t decipher the details. The mobo needs the latest BIOS to work with the processor… What’s the method to update? Anyone know? Maybe it’s only difficult if you don’t have another machine to download the update and put it on a stick?
  • PC Gamer suggests DDR4-3200 memory, but their link goes to 8GB 2400 memory, it seems. Is the memory I’ve selected a compatible type, and is it worth a few more bucks?
  • Will I need additional cooling on the CPU/GPU?
  • What am I forgetting?

But a dell optiplex refurbished, or any cheap tower, about 150 dollars on eBay. Something at least third generation Intel. Add in a 1050 or 1050 ti, get a half height version if the desktop requires it.

Propertyroom.com has good deals on similar desktops from time to time too.

Well under 300 with better performance in games because of the gpu.

Thanks for this suggestion.

I think I see some Optiplex machines for very good prices ($150, like you say). I get lost in the arrays of numbers and letters: Is anything i3/i5/i7 a third-gen Intel processor? It seems like the cheapest 1050ti (on Amazon anyway) is $160, so I don’t know that this gets me under $300, but it’s close and it’s a very efficient way to get the whole package.

Would you like my Alienware R1 Alpha ? Comes with a case and already has an SSD. I think the graphics are 860M GTX level, so should be good for Minecraft. I can play Endless Space 2, Civ V ect without a problem on it. It’s been a great lilttle computer.

One issue is that it only has HDMI out (it’s meant to be used on a TV) nor headphone jack. The GPU also isn’t upgradable.

If not you might look into picking up a used Alpha r1. They should be around $200 used right now. They’re fine for 2d games but you can probably put together a much better performing 1050ti system if you scrounge up the parts.

Wow, thanks for the offer. That’s a Steam machine?

If there’s no port for speakers or headphones, that might be a dealbreaker. Definitely not planning on hooking this to a TV.

You can buy a USB audio adapter for a few bucks. Won’t be audiophile quality, but it’s a cheap solution.

If you are going this route I’d aim for an i5 (4 core chip). The chip generation is the first number, so a 4770k is fourth generation, 5XXX is fifth, 3XXX is third, etc. Intel chips plateaued quite a bit after the fourth generation so those are still great today, and third should be fine too.