Building the smallest possible PC with a full-size GPU

Nobody that I know of has reported temp issues. And as you can see from the video upstream, even if you put in a ridonkulously high wattage CPU and a $1000+ Titan video card, things work fine.

Got mine today, was not expecting so soon. Now in the process of procuring parts to finish and am totally looking forward to the build :)

Did you build yours? I’m going to build another one just for funsies soon. Coffee Lake, that special edition i7-8086k.

I’m thinking I might do this with some of my severance pay.

Well, I’m kind of slow-buidling mine, as RAM and GPU’s are still a bit high in price, though SSD’s are now reasonable. Also, I was planning on using an I5-8400, so I’ve been waiting for more H370 boards to become available (or Z370’s to drop a bit more). Prices should be just about right very soonish.

I did buy the storage (500GB M.2 and a 2TB SSD), the PSU, and some other stuff. Nice thing about a slow build is I can do no-rush shipping from Amazon, getting some digital bucks.

I will post pic’s when it’s done, for sure

I should add, I did invest also in some filters for the unit. We have a cat and there are 5 of us in the house, so computers can get rather dusty. Instead than taking the unit apart every month, I’m going to see if these filters will help reduce the frequency of cleaning

Link:

Probably fine but be careful about airflow / temps, there is a cost for the filter in terms of substantial reduction to airflow.

Looks like I bought a Fractal Node 304 at some point and forgot about it still in the box so my project will be to shoehorn an NVIDIA 1080 Ti into that. Now to decide if Intel or AMD.

Like I’ve been saying, I would not buy an intel CPU until they fix meltdown. 2600x all the way.

The last part may actually turn out to be true for a time longer than expectations. As the fixes may wipe out performance and make newer chips an unattractive option for a long time.

No, Meltdown should be easy to fix. Spectre will take multiple generations to fix.

I sure hope you’re right. :)

I realize I’m being naive, but since I have been using Intel since 2005 (and am currently running an i3-4330), I don’t see this as increase risk by using an i5-8400, just keeping it the same. Once fixed, I do intend to replace processor and board, but till then, as I understand it, I’ll be dealing with the same attack vectors as before.

No risk at all if you’re patched, but there is a substantial performance hit in every currently shipping intel CPU. AMD too, just less so as they are only affected by Spectre, not Meltdown.

Out of curiosity, what do you do with these extra little fun PCs you build? Do you have a little collection started? :)