Bulletstorm: Epic's new game that ISN'T Gears 3

That looks too much like Unreal Tournament.

In that there are guns and guys to shoot?

That looks pretty great. It looks like when you kick an enemy it sort of hangs there for a moment to allow you to set up combos – I hope that’s actually in the game and isn’t just an effect used for the trailer.

I hate it when games do that, like Killzone 2’s post-demo trailer that was a couple of minutes of slow-motion ragdolls flying through the air when the game had no slow-motion whatsoever. If your cool trailer effect isn’t in your game then you’re doing it wrong!

The GI article said there is no co-op.

Edit: But Joystiq says otherwise: Video Game News & Reviews | Engadget

I’m not sure who is right.

I mean it feels like UT3 to me, the fast pace, the guns, the “OVERKILL” message when you kill someone.

I can see that. I think you’ll find it feels a lot different though having a single player game and being more focused on interesting kills rather than just gunning down the flag carrier. At least I hope you will!

Trailer aside, what a terrible name for a game. I skipped past like four articles about it this morning, beause I assumed it was one of those third-tier Eastern European shooters. How was I to know it was an Epic game?

EDIT: Oops, I see now that it’s only published by Epic, and it’s actually developed by some Polish dudes. Okay, never mind. The name is appropriate.

It’s from People Can Fly! Makers of Painkiller! Come on! They deserve more recognition than “some Polish dudes”.

It’s by the guys who did the Painkiller games.

This looks like it could be a fun shooter like Borderlands. No one trying to tell a grand story or convey political views, just a fun exciting shooter. I’ll definitely be keeping my eye on this one.

It looks awesome. The NIN song in the trailer also put a big smile on my face.

Okay, so I’ve never heard of that game, either – I never played FPSes until this console generation, and that apparently predates it – but the Wikipedia description makes it sound Serious Sam-y and uninteresting.

I guess I’ll just wave this off as something that people who like old-school shooters will be interested in.

You fool! Painkiller was amazing. Probably still is.

Painkiller is the second-greatest FPS of all time.

All I can tell you is that I love Painkiller. You should download the demo. I played that demo for hours and hours, over and over. In the demo you get a stake gun, and can fire stakes at zombies and watch them get nailed to the wall. I don’t really care for Serious Sam all that much, but Painkiller is a different beast altogether. The weapons are so satisfying, and combat and the atmosphere are just … delicious.

I’ll be the dissenter. I didn’t even finish Painkiller. I found the levels too bland and two dimensional, while the enemy AI just made me long for the actual old-school games it was aping.

I’m cautiously optimistic for Bulletstorm.

I find mouse/keyboard an unusable control scheme, so there’s no chance I’ll try it on the PC. But leaving that aside (and yes, I am entirely aware it’s a minority opinion, thanks), I also prefer my shooters to be story-laden, like Bioshock or ME2. If this is getting the BobJustBob Seal of Approval, I expect it’s very much not my thing.

I like my shooters to be story-laden too. Painkiller is just a pleasant exception because it’s so good. Still, I can understand the hesitation on the mouse/keyboard bit. I’ve moved away from that control scheme over the last couple of years, and I also find controllers to be my preferred method for shooters. Especially because of the analog movement. Going back to WASD digital movement feels so awkward after you get used to a stick for movement.

Still, digital movement works just fine for a game like this. Plus xpadder works great for it too, so you can control it with a 360 controller if you want.

Reminds of The Club. Being so fast may make multiplayer difficult because lag will be exaggerated. We’ll wait+see.

edit: EA is with EPIC now? Oh deer.

Someone over at People Can Fly is a fan of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.