Burger King to sell Hot Dogs?

Yup. As I suspected, the “classic” BK dog tastes and looks like a regular Oscar Mayer hot dog that you could assemble at home. Nothing special.

People were expecting something special from a Burger King hot dog? I tried one today and thought it was pretty solid for what it is. The regular one has all my favorite toppings (mustard, ketchup, kraut, relish) so I’m happy I can roll up and grab a quick hot dog from BK.

No, seriously. What is WITH you people?! Who the hell puts ketchup on a hot dog?! D:

People who don’t look to a fictitious psycho cop for culinary instruction?

In fairness, the “anti-ketchupped hot dogs” thing is a very. . . err. . . passionate group of people.

I wonder how they’d handle the fact that my “secret” favorite way to eat a dog is cold from the fridge in a squooshy cheapo bun slathered in mayonnaise. . .

BURN THE WITCH!

Diagram for proper hot dog preparation:

And the relish must must! be neon green.

First time I had neon green relish I reached for my Geiger counter.

Yeah. . . I mean, stuff like that’s fine, too, and I’d pay a man with a cart money to give me one and all. But sometimes it’s fun to be 8 again and go for the grossout-dog as described above.

Dunno. I guess I get pretty testy with northerners and their shitty attempts at biscuits when traveling above the Mason-Dixon (ultra-unhealthy breakfasts might be the only thing of value to ever emerge from the American South–except me, of course), so maybe I’m not entirely above the “passionate defense of regional food preference” thing myself ;)

Having lived a good portion of my life in both Chicago and New York, I have to say that I could never understand the passion for the Chicago-style hot dog. It always seemed to me that the idea was to bury the flavor of the tube steak under all that salad. And even if I could go for that, they ruin the whole thing with that garbage, flavorless yellow mustard. Blah!

If I wanted a salad, I’d order one.

The mustard is more than ok to replace with a better substitute. I prefer a dijon or stone ground myself. Yellow mustard is really more of a minimum acceptable standard.

To be honest, while I prefer a Chicago style, if I’m at home I’ll probably just put ketchup, mustard, relish (or a spear), and onion. I’m not actually a purist, it’s just fun to play one on the internet ;)

To be doubly honest, I don’t much like hot dogs unless they are the Vienna All Beef (or similar all beef dogs). I will go for literally any other sausage type first.

I like a good Chicago-style dog sometimes, but I prefer a regular Polish dog or ballpark wiener with mustard, onions, and kraut on a steamed bun.

YES!5

Mustard is all you need. But it has to be spicy brown mustard like Kosciusko or something stronger like Colmans. Sweet relish, yuck. Flavorless American yellow mustard, double yuck. Ketchup, ugh.

Does nobody just eat their hot dogs plain?

I do like the celery salt and pickle. It’s a nice change of pace.

But I vastly prefer a NY deli style kosher grilled snappy-skinned dog with kraut and deli mustard, or a NJ-style deep-fried ripper with relish.

My preferred method is to slice up the dog and mix into Mac and Cheese. Buns are only a change of pace.

I can’t believe people like Hot Dogs this much. Maybe I’m not loading them up with enough fluorescent condiments?

Hot dogs are delicious, if you do them right.

A good wiener is key. Don’t skimp. Those Bar-S Jumbo packages of franks are garbage. They’re fine for feeding the rubes at a little league game, charity fun run, or car dealer giveaways, but you have to spend a little extra if you want a quality dog. You don’t have to buy the $10 6-pack of Nathan’s Dinner Dogs, but a buck can be the difference between a pack of overgrown Vienna sausages that lay limp in the bun and a 100% beef wiener with a crispy skin that that snaps when you bite into it.