Burt Reynolds RIP

There was a great episode of SG1 where a Dom DeLuise AI was installed in the teams head and drove them all crazy.

Oh, wow. I sorta knew that Burt Reynolds played college football. He was an RB for FSU. What I just learned was that his roommate was the one-and-only Lee Corso.

Wonder if Saturday’s show will get a bit emotional now.

Yeah, Burt and the Scooter were tight. Corso was a local boy in Miami, went to my old man’s HS, graduated same year.

RIP Burt. I watched Hooper more times than I care to admit.

Interesting article.

The Athletic Boyhood of Actor Burt Reynolds

The star known for his physical roles recalls his early dreams of adventure, and why he loves the living room of his Jupiter, Fla., home.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-athletic-boyhood-of-actor-burt-reynolds-1453220735?mod=article_inline

When he was young and didn’t sport his legendary mustache, Reynolds looked like Marlon Brando’s long-lost brother.

Oh wow, that’s uncanny.

Sad. I loved the stupid Smokey & The Bandit flicks, as well as the Cannonball Run goofs. I even dug Sharkey’s Machine. I’m pretty certain that none of those hold up, but for a certain part of my tweens/teens, he seemed like such a cool, funny dude.

Dang. I just watched him on one of the late night shows a few weeks ago. I’m not sure if it had been up a while. He did look so frail but was hoping he was just a bit weak at the time. :(

That’s actually from an episode of Twilight Zone where he played a Brando-like actor. RIP

Wait – what? Burt Reynolds was on a Twilight Zone episode? How did I not know that?

Here it is:

Interesting, it was a send-up of Brando:
“The actor portrayed by Burt Reynolds satirizes Marlon Brando’s way of method acting.”

Trivia:
“The episode was also featured in the final episode of The Sopranos , in 2007, “Made in America”. Tony Soprano, the protagonist of the series, is seen watching this episode while in hiding from his enemies in a safe house.”

I think Deliverance proved that he could and should have been in more serious roles. He even said as much himself. I don’t have a site, but he essentially said that he acted in roles that didn’t push him. He did it for fun. He later wished that he’d taken more serious parts.

And this:

I have to see this sometime.

Sorry to see him go. I loved him in Deliverance and The Longest Yard.

You’re welcome.