So I get home and smell a horrible burning smell in the kitchen, apparently the microwave isn’t heating stuff right anymore, and earlier in the day I am told it partially melted a microwave safe plastic measuring cup that was set to 90 seconds. Inside there is a dark yellow stain/discoloration along the entire back and sidewalls about half way up the walls.
Bad things are happening, so I go to see for myself, and try and heat up a cup of water. 30 seconds and its almost boiling hot. Listening when it turned on, the microwave makes a few weird noises it never did before and now emits a burnt plastic smell, probably from the cup that was partially melted.
Its a 2007 GE and its been used hard, so no tears needed as its being retired. I unplugged it and will figure out what you do with a broken microwave, I guess the trash company will recycle it?
I shot over to the wirecutter site, gonna probably get this microwave (their 2nd best suggestion) during Prime Day tomorrow. I want the bigger 1.2cu.ft size.