Buying a PSP

Weird, I’ve never noticed that. My original PSP saw several years of hard use and never had a scratched up screen. A cracked one, yes, but that was due to a toddler and a screen protector wouldn’t have helped.

I actually paid for MovKit in order to streamline this process. It’ll convert seemingly anything into a great-looking PSP format (the new fully stretched one), subtitles and all. Takes a while, but of course it does batch processing. I’m currently watching the entirety of Seirei no Moribito on mine, which came in some sort of fancy, multi-audio+subtitle stream XVid format.

I tried a few other free apps and several demos, but the level of complexity in most was way over my interest level, and the results were less than stellar. I’d definitely recommend MovKit if you’re planning on watching a lot of video.

I’ve found PSPVideo 9 or whatever it’s called (which is absolutely free) to work perfectly well, albeit with slightly unintuitive formatting options.

Are there even any unmoddable ones anymore? my understanding was that the cat is out of the bag forever with the service battery trick.

Just got back from my trip. I grabbed the Daxter pack at Wal-Mart and had to go to the Gamestop next door to get games because Wal-Mart had nothing. I got a used copy of the Marvel card game, which is all I played the whole trip. It was pretty hard at first, but once I got the idea, it became a lot easier. Some of the concepts are tricky early on, but seem simple now. I guess that’s just how card games are.

I also grabbed Monster Hunter Freedom (the first one) because I remembered people liking it. I had left before reading Moore’s recommendation, but I guess it worked out. Haven’t played it or Daxter yet.

I had no idea I could use the memory card to DL demos. How does that work? I have a bunch of little memory card slots on my PC that I never use. No idea if I have the proper one. “My computer” says I have “compact flash” “smart media” “SD/MMC” and “memory stick” drives. Will any of those work? I also have a wireless network. Could I just go into it with the PSP? I haven’t used any of the WLAN capabilities yet. I just played games.

Anyway, it was a great purchase. I already love it, and I’ve only played one game!

http://www.pspdemocenter.org/page.php?id=247

Step 1 - THE DOWNLOAD

Simply click the region’s flag of your choice to download the PSP Demo you wish to play onto your desktop (you can download it elsewhere but it is easier to find on the desktop).

Step 2 - THE EXTRACTION

Right click the zip file and choose ‘Extract All…’ to bring up the Extraction Wizard (built into Windows XP and Vista). Click the ‘Extract’ button and after a few seconds a new window will popup with a single folder in it and should have 4 letters followed by 5 numbers such as ‘UCJS10036’ … some demos have a suffix such as ‘-1’ or ‘-demo’, don’t delete they are important. This is the demo’s folder you need to copy onto the PSP’s memory stick. Right click this folder and select ‘Copy’.

Step 3 - THE TRANSFER

The easiest way is hooking the PSP up to the PC via USB. Once the PSP is detected you usually see a popup asking what you want to do, select “Open folder to view files” which will open a window which has your PSP’s folders listed. Open the PSP folder … then open the GAME folder. This is the location you want to copy the demo’s folder. Right click on a blank area of this window and select ‘Paste’. After a few seconds of transferring the demo folder (files are contained) you are ready to disconnect your PSP and play the demo.

Bought mine today, the Daxter pack. Picked up Final Fantasy 1 and Jeanne D’Arc, ordered Disgea, Pirates, and Final Fantasy 2 from gogamer. Should have a ton of RPG time now. Also converting some Firefly and a WW2 documentary to stick on some memory sticks. Thanks for the recommends in this thread.

Out of curiousity, just what is the difference between a strategy RPG and a regular RPG?

Disgaea and Jeanne are strategy(or Tactical) RPGs. Final Fantasy(non Tactics) is a regular jRPG.

I actually just started playing FF1 and I’m really enjoying it. The graphics are nice and crisp and it almost seems like playing a whole new game. IMHO its an excellent port.

To clarify, the use of grids and/or movement by your characters in which facing, area of effect, height, and other factors offer a tactical advantage in battle are SRPGs. The more traditional weapon/spell attacks by characters without anything like that being accounted for (or controlled by the player) are regular.

got it, thanks for the clarifcation.

used game coupon:
http://www.pspfanboy.com/media/2008/01/ebc3004637.jpg

Thanks for the coupon :)

Thanks for the replies.
I will see if I can snag a PSP up during my trip.
Seems I might be able to enjoy it unmodded. Found some services that could mod it for me later anways if I wish so (for a price of course).
Bookmarked the links to the conversion programs + demo site.
Thanks again :)