Buying an HDTV tale of woe

When Best Buy delivered my TV the guys refused to lift it over a 3" high low railing that was near the entryway unless I paid them $50 each. I said forget it and they left it on the sidewalk. A 53" TV. My buddy drove over and we lifted it up no problem.

Bastards. I had two $10 bills in my front pocket to tip them with too. I called their supervisor and demanded they be fired.

Free delivery is very, very nice, but in my case it was ruined by lazy greed.

My local Circuit City delivered my 106-pound HD set the night I bought it (delivering @ 10pm), unboxed it, and put it exactly where I wanted it.

So, yeah, you got shitty service.

When I bought my 60" TV on a Friday, Best Buy offered to deliver it for free. On the following Tuesday. “Oh. In that case, I’ll just order it from Amazon instead.” TV showed up that afternoon in the installer van rather than the delivery truck, they unboxed it and brought it down to the basement for me.

As I was standing outside the BB waiting for my wife to bring the car around, a woman walking into the BB saw me ogling the box for my new TV, laughed, and said, “You’re practically hooting and grunting over that.”

I called RCN today to bring the HD cable box. My bill is actually going to go down, I’m getting more channels, and free long distance on the phone. The only catch is they want a 2-year contract with a $150 early disconnect fee. I went for it, but the cable guy can’t come out until Wednesday.

The SD at normal SD size doesn’t look bad. When stretched or oversampled it looks pretty grainy. The 360 is on the fritz, so I have yet to put an HD signal into it.

My wife says it looks like ass on the old TV stand, so now we need to go buy a new entertainment unit. Whatever.

Not TV related, but we bought a washing machine at Lowe’s on Saturday with Free next-day delivery. They delivered it on Sunday alright, but mangled the power cord in the process. It’s 2pm on Monday, and we still haven’t gotten the call about re-delivery today.

The “free delivery” is via mail-in rebate, and I’m going to try to push them to instead credit the charge back to my card. The thing that fries me is that we bought it on Saturday with the next-day delivery specifically so we wouldn’t need to fuck around with being home from work and losing vacation time, and now it looks like it’ll be over a full day lost from work.

Fuckers.