Buying Custom Suits Online—This is a thing

I PITY THE FOOL WHO PREFERS NO ADORNMENT!

A big part of the problem is the dramatic growth in the average weight of Americans. Car seats are bigger, airplane seats are bigger, and “medium” clothing means something much different than 50 years ago! If you are not notably overweight, don’t even bother buying a dress shirt unless it is “fitted”/“atheletic cut”. With a 32" waist, a normal 15" dress shirt on me is like wearing a parachute.

Yeah, I get “slim fit” shirts and jeans. I assure you, I am not slim. Can’t imagine what it’s like for someone who’s actually in decent shape.

PD, it occurs to me I forgot to say this in my first reply to this thread: nice suit! Welcome to the wonderful world of tailored clothing. Fair warning, it’s addictive! You’ll be into shoes, next.

If I may offer one nitpicky suggestion; don’t button the last button of the vest. Most people do these days, but it’s “correct” to leave it undone, just like you only typically button the top button of the jacket.

Went to Bangkok to interview some companies as part of my MBA thesis a few years back and got two suits tailored to me there. I’ve traded some muscle for fat since then and hover around the same weight and yet they still look damn good. Best suit purchase I ever made. Its great that these services exist online now. Really worth it over store bought options.

God damn it I never read up on vest etiquette! Grumble.

edit - Oh and funny you should mention shoes, because I’m in the market for a pair of dark brown oxfords. I’m not in a hurry so hopefully I can find a good deal. I wonder if there’s a specific time of the year that’s best to buy them.

If you have a designer outlet mall near you I usually find random holiday sales can be a really great way of getting some pretty good deals. Days like Columbus day, or memorial day (and the days around them) you can usually find like 30-50% off of already discounted prices. I also find the deals are better in a department store outlet than a specific brand outlet. Instead of going to the 7 for all man kind jeans store go to off 5th and buy your 7 jeans from there. I also find they usually have a better selection smaller sizes in these places so your 5’6" 140 can get you some pretty good deals.