Buying new gaming computer from Dell.. and have the fear

There’s one main reason, in my book, to buy Dell:

They’re quieter.

I’ve always put my own PC together, and as attested to in various messages on this forum, getting a quiet PC is hard. Heck, even the Dell floppy drive is quiet. Its amazing.

AMen to that. This 2.8Gig Optiplex unit I have at work barely even whispers at me.

Yep. In fact last week I ordered the following for a new rig and got them on Friday. Still have to build the bloody thing though. Thats the part I hate doing; probably because I can do it with my eyes shut and I’d rather pay someone else to do with their eyes open. But thats not a cheap option.

1xASUS P4C800 Deluxe (875 DDR chipset): $217
1xP4 2.8C 800bus Hyperthreading: $354
2x512MB PC3200 (DDR400) Kingston: $178
1x420w Nspire Dual Fan Power Supply: $49
1xWestern Digital 80GB HDD w/8MB: $105
1xwinXP Pro OEM : $159

I already have all the other salvaged bits (case, monitor, video card, sound card) that are going into it.

I really wanted to replace the NEC MultiSync FE700+ on my primary dev rig, with one of the new Dell UltraSharp LCD monitors (after seeing them on display at the ATI booth while at E3), but I’m excercising some serious restraint. Not sure for how much longer I can hold off the urge though. Man, they look sweet.

I’m a new Dell convert…and thats only because of my new Insprion 8500 which I bought for E3. Other than that, I build all my rigs.

hey if you haven’t bought it yet i may be able to get you 500 dollars off my wife works for washington mutal and they get 500 dollars off any of computer