C&C Generals

Is it me or is there absolutely no one to play with?
I hate MP only beta’s … pain in the ass to even learn how to play the game.

I’d rather almost have a skirmish, even if the AI is currently terrible – to at least learn what the hell is going on and take my time to see the improvements, etc.

No ones playing. Everyone is playing Xbox live.

get with the times and get a xbox

:D

Yes, let’s all gather to play 3-5 good games online and listen to high pitched voices scream obscenities through my headset.

Wow that rocks!

STFU. Those 3-5 good games rock!! They frekin rock and i love the headset. It gives me that tactical edge that you can’t get with PC gaming.

I love my Xbox. :D

If you consider being connected verbally to a bunch of whiny teens a tactical advantage, more power to ya.

Generals looks to be interesting, but like most Westwood titles as of late, I imagine it’ll be mindless fun for a good couple of hours until it completely drops off the map. Single-player really only lasts until first completion with no replay value on RA2, and with the difficulty that Westwood had in making any sort of multiplayer fun in Emperor: Battle for Dune, I’ve got my doubts at Generals being any good.

Real world technology? Okay, yeah, neat, whatever. It’s more fun to shoot a Mammoth Tank.

Just wanted to point out that Generals is not a Westwood title, it’s being put together by EA Pacific (the good folks behind Red Alert 2) in glorious Irvine, CA.

Oh, really? Sorry, I was under the impression it was being done by the main Westwood team. My mistake.

In that case, we can at least bet that the multiplayer will be quite fun. Though I still think the single-player will lack from no-replay syndrome. Funny how big of a difference it can make when one team isn’t coding it and another is. I swear the Westwood proper team lost it’s marbles a few years ago.

He’s right.

When did J Allard find QT3? Welcome to the boards, J. Could you tone it down a little?

i love the headset. It gives me that tactical edge that you can’t get with PC gaming.

Since when can’t you use a headset on the PC?

Come on Murph, while you’ve technically got a point surely you can see the Xbox has the advantage in the voice communication department when every game and every person playing them (other than guests on the same Xbox) will be using a microphone as opposed to the PC where in game support is rare and it generally falls to external solutions that have to be set up in advance between people who plan their gaming sessions together.

I wonder how long it will take for people to turn off the headsets though? There’s already been a number of posts at various places that I’ve been reading, including here, where people can’t stand the way others act on Xbox Live. Whether it’s swearing, singing, strange conversations or whatever, there is definitely going to be a time when some people shut it off altogether.

–Dave

Dave, that’s meaningless-- you could say the same thing about posts in these very forums. Or anywhere else people are communicating.

I’m just saying it’s not an advantage if people don’t want to use it. Given the contingent of griefers you get in any online game, it’s going to make some people bag it. The only good way to avoid it is to play with friends. Then you’ve got the whole setting aside the time to play problem which is what online gaming is supposed to eliminate.

–Dave

Come on Murph, while you’ve technically got a point surely you can see the Xbox has the advantage in the voice communication department when every game and every person playing them (other than guests on the same Xbox) will be using a microphone as opposed to the PC where in game support is rare and it generally falls to external solutions that have to be set up in advance between people who plan their gaming sessions together.

Fair enough. I just liked the troll’s line about “that tactical advantage that you just can’t get with PC gaming..” I’ve known plenty of people who have used headsets - though, granted, it’s not as easy as Xbox Live! (exclamation point for proper naming of the Xbox Live! feature, not for emphasis).

But I shouldn’t have been feeding the troll in the first place. My apologies.

#1 - Generals = Developed by EA Pacific, sure it has a few Westwood team members (alright, more than a few) but it ain’t (utilizing proper English as always) Westwood.

#2 - I’ve got an XBox

#3 - Voice communication on XBox > Voice communication on PC

#3 - Voice communication on XBox > Voice communication on PC

Sure, sure – nobody questioned that.

It does make me wonder, though, why voice communication isn’t more universally supported in MP PC games. Is is that hard to incorporate? I mean, how hard is it to take an input from a mic and transmit it to another set of speakers? Sure fancy options – “Just talk to your team,” “Just talk to one person,” “Talk to everyone” – could be a bit tricky (and may defeat half of the purpose, I don’t know), but basic support shoud be built in to every game, the way I see it. How come it’s not?

Granted, you can download and use Roger Wilco easily enough, but it should be more streamlined, as part of the package, but it almost never is. Why?

I don’t think it’s meaningless. How would you feel playing a 30 minute game of NFL Fever where you opponent, a stranger, wants to chat the whole time?

I’ll give you an example. I had ICQ for awhile but uninstalled it because I didn’t like chatting all that much. So now I’m supposed to like voice chat with strangers?

For team games, the voice chat is great, I’m sure. For one on one, though?

Given the contingent of griefers that inevitably cause havoc in online games–and not just verbal havoc–it’s surprising that people play online games at all. But they do.

As you say, sometimes they play with friends. Most of the time, however, they just put up with it. I’d guess that the advantages of voice communication are going to outweigh the negatives for most players.