Caddyshack

I rented this movie a few weeks ago. My last viewing of it was maybe 5 years ago. It was as great as I remembered.

Ted Knight, Rodney Dangerfield, and Bill Murray give great comic performances, and Chevy Chase was very solid. The major weakness of the film was the “lead” role of the caddy (and every scene involving him), played by somebody whose name his performance isn’t worthy of making me remember.

I don’t know of any greater comic performance in a movie than that of Bill Murray as Carl. His best scenes are whacking the flowers with the golf club (the tops of them being the golf balls) while pretending he is winning the Masters and crafting the clay “friends of the gophers” to seduce his enemy, but every scene with him is stellar. Murray is better at being Carl than at being Bill Murray. He provides the heart of the story, such as it is.

What I find is that despite the older ages of Dangerfield and Knight, ONLY younger people like this movie. All humans 50+ years old or more than I have talked to regarding this film (maybe 20 or so anyway) say they either don’t like it or they think its just ok. Younger people (30 or less) either love it or at least like it. I think that’s in part a testament to Murray’s dominance.

“Do you stand for Goodness – or for Badness?!?”

You haven’t talked to me.

buy bushwood?!:
there’s your first problem - why don’t you own it? :wink:

said i was to be a firewatcher:
the actor who played Danny Noonan (Michael O’Keefe) was great. he was the ‘straight man’ to the lunacy of Chase, Knight, and Dangerfield. i loved his performance. i was disappointed that he ended up like Wyatt from Weird Science…his career just kinda folded.

cinderella story, from the back of the pack:
only reason i play golf is so that my brother and i can have 3 hours of uninterrupted Caddyshack quotes, which drive my pops crazy! (and yes, he is over 50.)

You have a lot of nice ties…Ty

Do you mind if I play through Carl?

Pool or Pond…Pond might be good for you

buy bushwood?!:
there’s your first problem - why don’t you own it? :wink:[/quote]

Technology. Should I have bought it on VHS? Laserdisc? DVD?

Since I can wait 5 years between viewings apparently I’m better off financially renting.

said i was to be a firewatcher:
the actor who played Danny Noonan (Michael O’Keefe) was great. he was the ‘straight man’ to the lunacy of Chase, Knight, and Dangerfield. i loved his performance.[/quote]

Just because he was a straight man (which I agree was a good thing for this movie) doesn’t mean his performance was good.

Where was the conflict between his relationship with his “good” girlfriend and “good” mentor (Chase) and his affair with the “bad girl” and his need to kiss up to the “bad” mentor (the judge)? This role had the opportunity (even for a comedy) for inner conflict that the performance ignores.

His best scene was an early one (maybe the first) where he is highly believable as a kid from a chaotic, large household.

But the whole performance is one long cruise control. The best overall aspect of his performance was to be bemused by whatever situation was presented to him. You could say this was his “character trait”. Bemusement isn’t bad for a straight man in a comedy, but there has to be more from the LEAD actor.

License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They’re like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.

“I don’t keep score.”
“Then how do you measure yourself against other golfers?”
“By height.”