Call of Duty 2 demo released

ATVI and IW just released a single-player demo for Call of Duty 2 – a single level in El Daba, Egypt. It’s pretty fun, I thought. There’s a lot of the same scripted stuff from CoD, but also a few places where you can go off the rails and explore and flank. I’ll be curious to hear what everyone thinks of it.

It’s available at all the usual locations. :)

Exceptionally pretty, very well designed and, well, nothing new apart from the setting (which has been done before, but never quite so atmospherically).

I mean, those Infinity Ward guys do a damn good job, and the whole thing is fun, engaging and polished to high heaven, but it in the end, it’s still the same quasi-linear trek back and forth across a war ravaged environment, completing slightly abstracted objectives while ducking behind cover, leanining out and popping mondo Germans in the noggin’ that we’ve been taking since Medal of Honor first hit the PlayStation way back when. We have a bit more freedom to explore than before, but that’s about it in terms of non-tech newness.

The first CoD was an interesting spin on the genre, with its smart squad members and interesting contextual actions, and this seems like a worthy sequel, but the whole thing feels sort of…done. Not the setting, but the gameplay.

[size=2](note: I am an EALA employee, but haven’t had anything to do with the Medal of Honor series since, well, one of the ones that people hated a few years back. The above opinion is just, well, my opinion etc. etc.)[/size]

I’ll echo what the previous posters said, and add that it took me about 8 minutes to play the demo on Normal. On rails indeed.

DoD:S and the CoD2 demo on the same day, within hours. And you thought that WWII Shooter had been worn out.

This cow ran dry about a year ago… they’re milking out vapors at this point.

Well, yeah, I sort of still do :shock:

Any widescreen resolution support in the game? D/ the demo now and very curious since my 2405 is due to arrive tomorrow.

Pretty sure there is. There were aspect ratio options.

I played at 1920x1200. Support for widescreen resolutions is built in.

Not to mention the existence of a Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood or whatever meaningless acronym they have now, a demo is available for it off 3dgamers.

I gotta say, I really hate the “every door is locked but the ones the plot makes you go through”. It takes you right out of it when the game gives you two options and no reason why I can’t pick C.

The demo took me about 5 minutes, the HUD was too prone to going away, and maybe Brothers In Arms spoiled me but I’ve sort of gotten disenchanted with the plinking at German helmets approach. That Enfield was a death ray.

I got bored with the original CoD during the Russian campaign, and unless reviews and word of mouth are fantastic I highly doubt I’ll pick this one up. It was pretty and polished and frenetic, but incredibly familar.

OMG, so is mine! LOL

I decided to take the plunge after I saw they had a $300 off special recently.

In case anyone is wondering WTH we’re talking about:

http://tinyurl.com/cl7ec

Heh, just checked the tracking # and it’s out for delivery today. Damn I’m tempted to come down with a wicked 24-hour case of the Ebola virus.

the locked doors made the original unplayable for me. I hated hated hated it.

“I’d rather die than trespass, you germans can shoot me right here, I wont kick down this door to get away or flank you!”

How immersive and ‘fun’. Most overrated game of the past few years.

the locked doors made the original unplayable for me. I hated hated hated it.[/quote]
So what game(s) do you guys think did this right?

Ugh, other than improved graphics I see almost no improvements from the original which I also think is vastly overrated. Definite pass for me.

the locked doors made the original unplayable for me. I hated hated hated it.[/quote]
So what game(s) do you guys think did this right?[/quote]

Morrowind.

So what game(s) do you guys think did this right?[/quote]
Morrowind.[/quote]
I was kind of hoping for an example from the same genre. :)

Games like Brothers In Arms or Black Hawk Down don’t bother me near as much because you can’t go into any building(unless the mission explicitly involves attacking a building). CoD has some building you can go in, so sometimes it tells you the solution to “Germans ahead” is to go through a nearby building. Other times that option isn’t there simply because they didn’t code the interior of the building.

I have to agree that I’d find a more open-ended game a lot more interesting. This demo made HL2 look like Daggerfall.