Call of Duty 2: Second tour, just like the first

Well, mostly. Call of Duty 2 does some new things, but it mostly shows off how well Infinity Ward knows their scripted chaotic war movie games. It’s easy to dismiss this as more of the same, but when it’s such a compelling “same”, who cares? Consider it a guilty re-pleasure.

Read my Yahoo review here.

Lose the quotes around the http…

reading now.

Dude, I’m doing it now! Quit reading my posts so fast! :)

-Tom

Well, I will say that you’ve almost convinced me to try a WW2 game again.

Nah, no more WW2 scripted shooters for me. Entertaining review, skipping the game.

BTW, the screenshots all say “gamespot” on them.

I’m pretty sure there’s some sort of unholy union between Gamespot and Yahoo these days, but I don’t know the details.

I will say that Call of Duty 2 is one of those games where, boy, am I glad I didn’t have to take screenshots. There way too much action to be bothered with setting up screenshots!

-Tom

Good review Tom

Bummer about the MP. I really enjoyed the expanded MP in UO…so much so its still on my HD.

BTW, any bots this time around?

Nope, no bots, which is a real drag considering how much dynamic stuff they’ve got the AI doing in single player.

-Tom

I’m currently awaiting the arrival of a USB footpedal, one that can be mapped to any key. I’m expecting it’s going to make taking in-action screens a lot easier. :)

I’m still early on in CoD2, but holy jeebus, I thought that first Russian mission was fantastic. (not the tutorial, but the one that followed.) Not only did I think the combat was great, but I just kinda gawked at the scripted sequence that ended it – I thought it was one of the more memorable scenes in all the shooters I’m been going through lately (which includes Serious Sam II, Quake 4, FEAR and CoD2).

I’m kinda of the same opinion about the multiplayer. I’ve been enjoying the CTF and Search & Destroy and Headquarters, but the Domination mode in United Offensive was really good as well. Not sure why Activity Ward decided to leave it out.

I just kinda gawked at the scripted sequence that ended it – I thought it was one of the more memorable scenes in all the shooters I’m been going through lately (which includes Serious Sam II, Quake 4, FEAR and CoD2).

Yeah, that was pretty awesome! Neat trick with the engine and pretty chilling implications. I can’t imagine you’d see EA doing something that grim.

I haven’t really played Quake 4, but I certainly prefer Call of Duty 2 over both F.E.A.R. and Serious Sam II. It’s much more consistently creative, engaging, and impressive. It’s easily the best single player shooter for the PC this holiday season.

I’ve been enjoying the CTF and Search & Destroy and Headquarters, but the modes in United Offensive were really good as well. Not sure why Activity Ward decided to leave them out.

C’mon, I think you know better! Two words: expansion pack. :)

-Tom

Well, yeah, I know that and you know that, but it’s still a bummer they left it out. :)

It’s almost heresy these days for a developer to intentionally leave something out that was a huge hit for them before. Could you imagine Half-Life 3 without some kind of gravity gun, or UT2007 without vehicles? Clearly, they’re thinking they’ve got enough meat between the single-player and Search & Destroy in multiplayer to hold the vehicle MP stuff for later.

(and they’re probably right.)

I’m currently awaiting the arrival of a USB footpedal, one that can be mapped to any key. I’m expecting it’s going to make taking in-action screens a lot easier. :)

I’m still early on in CoD2, but holy jeebus, I thought that first Russian mission was fantastic. (not the tutorial, but the one that followed.) Not only did I think the combat was great, but I just kinda gawked at the scripted sequence that ended it – I thought it was one of the more memorable scenes in all the shooters I’m been going through lately (which includes Serious Sam II, Quake 4, FEAR and CoD2).

I’m kinda of the same opinion about the multiplayer. I’ve been enjoying the CTF and Search & Destroy and Headquarters, but the Domination mode in United Offensive was really good as well. Not sure why Activity Ward decided to leave it out.[/quote]

It only gets crazier, too. I thought I’d be bored to death with yet another trip to Normandy in a game, but man, the beach landing and aftermath were just nuts. So much going on, so damn loud. One of those rare, crazy shooter levels where you just sort of stare at the screen for about 30 seconds when you’re done.

Any info on how the game runs with its new engine? United Offensive ran like absolute crap in that final sequence where you retake a Russian city it wasn’t even funny.

Haven’t gotten the full game yet (it shipped last night) but the demo ran like warm butter on my system which isn’t exactly top-of-the-line. I suppose the lack of physics and interactive environmental items has a lot to do with it (how can a vase in a game made in '05 not shatter when shot?)

Oh thanks I completely forgot there was a demo. Off to check it out then.

EDIT: Seems that gamespot liked it:

Waiting for sluggo’s review then.

For game reviewers everywhere:

http://www.tvps.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=VE-INUSB&affid=14

OT: WHat is it with that Yahoo! site that makes browser scrolling and Alt-tabbing so jerky and pausy? :? WHat the hell do they have under the hood over there?

Edit: As for CoD2, I was planning to grab this for the MP but it sounds rather uninspired.

Hmm wait for 360 or try it on a mid-range machine? Since graphics seems to be the biggest improvement, I want to take full advantage of that and not be forced to play it with low visual quality.

Played the demo using a 9700 Pro and Athlon XP 2500+, resolution 1024x768, and even 2x AA, and it ran pretty smoothly. Definitely an improvement on the way UO ran towards the endgame of the single-player.

How would this thing run on mine, do you all think? How much would I have to reduce the bells and whistles?

Athlon XP Barton 2500+
GeForce 6600GT
1 Gig PC 2700 DDR RAM
Audigy 1 soundcard
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Mobo