Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 doesn't get Roman numerals

Treyarch and Activision have confirmed Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/03/08/call-duty-black-ops-4-doesnt-get-roman-numerals/

And yes, “IIII” was a legit notation, but come on. No one sane uses it now other than some clocks and watchmakers.

\||/ would have been cooler.

Although, Volkswagen might sue.

Maybe ]||[?

Or ]/\[.

CODBLOPS is its own series? Separate from the WW2 one to come? That teaser didn’t show anything very interesting, and it’s hard to see WW2 offering much new. Even before DICE have their go.

I would have loved to be in the meeting where they made this decision. Doesn’t the Superbowl use Roman numerals??

Assuming Blops 5 will use this:

Just markin’ down the sequels till we get out of Call of Duty jail.

I like it. Fits the series nicely…

It’s so stupid.

Actually, it kinda is ]||[.

Clock connection is the key. Time travel story confirmed.

So their launching a month earlier than usual…staying out of RDR 2s way?

It kind of looks like a shield. For that, is not that stupid. But considering other things, maybe is that stupid.

The most disappointing thing to me about this is learning that you really can write four lines like that in Roman Numerals, which is not what I learned in 2nd grade when I learned Roman numerals. How could you Romans? How could you?

I just post this here:

Imagine being drunk and tryiing to play dice with roman numbers

Also, playing a game of rock, paper, scissors, four would quickly devolve into a fight.

And he did. And get this: IIII and IV are both legit, by the looks of it. Romans did apparently use both, and sometimes they even used both in the course of a single document. (I almost ended that sentence with an exclamation mark, such is the scandalous frisson of merely typing such a thought.)

Also, if you are boring like me, this stuff is actually quite interesting. Roman numerals are created by addition, subtraction and multiplication, I have been told by the British Museum duty curator for Greece and Rome. Often addition (IIII = 4) was preferred to subtraction (IV = 4). The subtraction notation - also called the subtractive notation, which is moderately cooler to say but I’ll admit it’s a squeaker - was not used exclusively until the 13th century, in fact - and it was not universally adopted in the Roman period. (‘Exclusively’ is not quite right either, of course - modern watchmakers in particular remain fond of IIII.)

It’s certainly not something to get worked up over because this is the developer of the best received modern warfare games Call of Duty games since the end of Infinity Ward.

Hey, I said I was upset over the Romans, not over Treyarch. Treyarch have my goodwill for life after they did Die by the Sword. I’ll never say anything negative about them.

I’m actually finding the history and discussion of Roman numerals really fascinating…probably more fascinating then I would find Blops IIII itself.

Now known as BLOPSBLOPSBLOPSBLOPS.