Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 doesn't get Roman numerals

PC version exclusive to B.net

Makes sense. Why give Valve a 30% cut when you have your own popular distribution system?

Well the big story here is no retail release for the PC version. But I assume that market is pretty much dead.

They could sell a box with the game code inside, but for a multiplayer-only title, why bother?

Gamestop, Wal-Mart, Target, and some other stores will carry the retail cards that just have a Battle net code on them.

I have to admit I really like this change:

As we saw in the game’s “multiplayer reveal” trailer, there are health bars (!) and health regeneration won’t be automatic. Instead, you’ll have to heal yourself—or rely on Crash, a medic who can restore other players’ health, hero-shooter-style.

And as much as I hate myself for saying this I am actually curious about their Battle Royale interpretation.

That said, I periodically try to get myself psyched for a new CoD but usually walk away disappointed…last one I sort of got along with was BLOPS 1 though I thought Zombie Chronicles was great while there was a population.

I’m super excited for the mp changes, the melee zombies mode and tentatively for the BR mode. Every time I think they have lost me with the franchise they do just enough to keep me involved, WWII barely worked but I think this time they may have done enough to get me back properly.

Another stunner. The typical statue collectors edition of the game does not come with a season pass of maps. Instead, there is a pack of MTX coins. We may be seeing the end of map packs in CoD.

If BLOPS4 had a single player campaign and this BR mode I’d be all over it, but I’m not paying full price to check out a BR mode.

As for mp, it’ll be interesting to see if the COD kids want Siege and Overwatch in their team deathmatch, instead of, you know, just playing Siege or Overwatch.

I’m excited about almost all of the changes. Most of the stuff people are getting upset about is the same stuff that I’m looking forward to.

Yup. This is Call of Duty.

Scarlett Rhodes is out to solve her eccentric father’s mysterious disappearance. With the help of three loyal outcasts, she’ll fight waves of the undead and uncover a prized relic wielding an extraordinary power that threatens all of humanity.

Relive the undead legacy with this reimagined fan-favorite Zombies experience.

“Blood of the Dead” takes the classic Zombies heroes – Richtofen, Dempsey, Takeo and Nikolai – on a journey to a secret laboratory beneath the iconic Alcatraz Penitentiary. Encountering a familiar enemy Hell-bent on imprisoning them for all eternity, the Primis crew quickly realize that the future predicted by the Kronorium - the future they sought to secure - is now in serious jeopardy.

I don’t know what any of this means.

It’s VERY serious…

So… this is pretty good! Played the Beta a bunch tonight. I really like the new main multiplayer mode… Heist. It’s like a combo of Rainbow Six Siege, Counterstrike and a lot of Call of Duty. It’s solid. Maps seem pretty good, too… Took me a little to settle into the weapons again as I hadn’t played BLOPS III in awhile but this is definitely a progression of that with an extra I.

It sure looks purty too.

“We love the PC this time. For reals.”

I think they’re serious. It was really impressive.

I also get the impression that they are putting more effort into the PC version this time around. I think the launch on Blizzardnet is a big push for Activision.

The key is how successfully they’ll attract players.

It makes sense. The PC is the platform for Overwatch, Rainbow Six: Siege, CS:GO… the major e-sports players, and that’s where Activision wants Call of Duty positioned as well, especially since they’ve added the CS:GO/R6-like mode to the game now.

It played great and looks spectacular. I’m not a huge fan of removing the mobility options with the jump jets and wall walking from III, but once you play for awhile you don’t really miss it too much. It’s also more “real” this way. I doubt they’ll get the e-sports success they’d like to have, but I think people will play it in large numbers.

This actually looks damn good.