Call Of Duty can go Awol for all I care

ENOUGH WITH THE LINEAR DESIGNED ARCADEY WW2 SHOOTERS! ITS NOT THAT ITS ONE HOUR LONG, BUT ITS NOT EVEN AS DEEP AS DOOM! GET OVER IT FOLKS WE’VE SEEN SAVING PRIVATE RYAN AND BAND OF BROTHERS ALREADY. AND YEAH LIKE GAMES DOMAIN SAYS, THE SQUAD AI IS REALLY REALLY GREAT… THEY RESPAWN.

etc

Plonk

plonk me?!?!? plonk you man!

Okay, I’ll admit the game has its own charms. But please, deep down its as linear as Unreal 2 and Elite Force 2… I don’t see people going gaga over those games… unless WW2 was in the future.

etc

Well, yeah but from what I remember in EF2, your teammates were mostly worthless (they were completely worthless in EF1). At least in CoD (or is that rancid tuna) the AI guys actually kill the enemy with decent accuracy.

So what’s the problem ? It’s linear and enemies respawn. But the way COD is presented and its polish makes it a great play experience. It has tightly scripted moments that keep the whole thing moving along.

At least it isn’t the sterile environment that we had in MOH. That damned sniper level comes to mind.

Don’t ever mention sniper town again.

NO MORE SNIPER TOWN, EVER!!!

All I know is that Call of Duty moves just a hair fast enough to make me motion sick. I can play Medal of Honor all night and feel fine, but CoD just zips a little too quick for me. Too bad because whether its short or dull, it sure looks pretty and probably rocks in multiplayer.

Well, I’m not so sure CoD is truly innovative here; it looks like the “squad tactics” are all based on trigger-based areas - they don’t act on some AI path, but something that’s already been pre-programmed as what they should do at this point at this area.

And yeah, the friendlies respawn automagically, except for whomever gives the orders - he’s invincible. Yeah that’s great.

At some point, you don’t give a hoot about squad tactics, because if you leave them to their own devices they can kill the enemy - up to the next trigger point - and one of them will never get killed.

It’s something that gets irritating the second or so playthrough, not so much on the first, because you’re too busy to notice.

The other problem is that in the “signature” scenes the guys that make the levels have absolutely no imagination and feel they gotta steal from whatever the popular media is at the time. 2015 did the same thing.

Paradrop scene from Band of Brothers? Check. Breacourt Manor from BoB? Check. Boat/disembark across the Vistula scene from Enemy at the Gates? Check. I bet they’ll throw in the part with the Russian officers/commisars shooting the saps that run away, too.

Admittedly the mission in CoD when you’re the passenger on a jeep driving around, getting shot at by the Tiger, is pretty cool, and really fast. I didn’t think the Quake engine could do a full-terrain scene that fast but it’s very smooth.

— Alan

So, should I not get this game? I loved the demo.

I don’t care what any of you say - I loved the demos and I’m getting the game. Sure, I hated MoH because it was so linear, but MoH wasn’t even fun. Halo was quite linear too, but it was a lot of fun.

There is room for both open ended and scripted event driven gameplay, the way I see it.

Oh I’m getting it, make no mistake.

— Alan

I heard its like 10 hours long in single player. That sucks.
The demos rocked though.

olaf

I really don’t get some of these problems. Free-form gaming is not the be all and end all, it’s not the Holy Grail. Sure, strict linearity when badly implemented can be tiresome and a bitch to play, but from what I’ve played of CoD so far (the two demos) it seems as though the developers are well aware of this, and have designed a game that’s intensive and exciting.

Certainly, I’d love to be able to blow a hole in /that/ wall and dive through it for cover, run 15 miles across the map and then decide to just have a cup of coffee in the local cafe, but the fact that this game doesn’t allow me to do it doesn’t automatically make it bad.

A well designed, well executed linear games will still piss all over a badly designed poorly executed free-form game.

The other problem is that in the “signature” scenes the guys that make the levels have absolutely no imagination and feel they gotta steal from whatever the popular media is at the time. 2015 did the same thing.

Paradrop scene from Band of Brothers? Check. Breacourt Manor from BoB? Check. Boat/disembark across the Vistula scene from Enemy at the Gates? Check. I bet they’ll throw in the part with the Russian officers/commisars shooting the saps that run away, too.

I just wish more journalists would note these references. I was surprised in the early previews for CoD that the previewer would gush about how original the early Stalingrad missions are but never mention that the developers took them lock, stock, and barrel from Enemy at the Gates. A few of the early reviews have at least acknowledged the debt.

There will probably be a lull in WW2 games as developers wait until the Pacific-based Band of Brothers sequel is completed so they can mine it for “inspiration.”

But is it really necessary for a review to do that in order for it to be a good and worthwhile assessment of the game?

Two things:

1 - not everyone will have seen all the films/scenes referenced in any body of work that draws inspiration from other sources (be that in videogames or films)

2 - even if you have seen it, theses are real world settings, and surely the criteria to judge it against is whether or not it’s fun to play, and does it make you feel better/as excited as when you saw the original filmed version of those events?

Personally, if this game gives me the same satisfaction as I got from watching any of the great war films, I’m happy to play through it.

But is it really necessary for a review to do that in order for it to be a good and worthwhile assessment of the game?

Two things:

1 - not everyone will have seen all the films/scenes referenced in any body of work that draws inspiration from other sources (be that in videogames or films)

2 - even if you have seen it, theses are real world settings, and surely the criteria to judge it against is whether or not it’s fun to play, and does it make you feel better/as excited as when you saw the original filmed version of those events?

Personally, if this game gives me the same satisfaction as I got from watching any of the great war films, I’m happy to play through it.

I agree that it doesn’t change the quality of the game. I just didn’t care for the previews where the journalists were gushing over how original and brilliant a scenario is that is copied from a movie. It doesn’t change the gameplay but give credit where credit is due. Part of the problem is the developers themselves rarely acknowledge the connection. I’ve never seen an interview with Infininty Ward where they acknowledged they took the opening to the Russian campaign from Enemy at the Gates.

Wouldn’t saying that open them up to lawsuits? That’s exactly the sort of thing company lawyers would tell you to never, ever say.

It’s not a competing product and it’s an interactive experience of history, not the movie itself, so you can get away with it all you want.

If I were to review CoD I’d knock off a few points for unoriginality, no doubt.

Not really the point - it’s the fact that the developers, instead of having to use some thought into creating their own mesmerizing and inspiring sequences, have to go use someone else’s.

Maybe, if they’re done right - but some of them are just gimmicky and gamey once you go through them once (Omaha Beach on MOH:AA is a prime example - hell, they even copied lines from the movie).

Plus, if you’re gonna do the textbook assault on Breacourt Manor as depicting in Band of Brothers, you might as well be in the correct unit.

— Alan

Or not.

How close are we to the point where gamers are no longer interested in WWII as a setting?