Call of Duty: Vanguard - CoD goes back to WWII

I do love train levels in games.

It’s a good thing they don’t have friendly fire in the campaign, you shot your allies quite a bit. :)

It was dark! Sometimes it’s tough to tell who’s who! CoD handles that stuff well for the most part especially in multiplayer and Warzone with characters telling you to “Watch your fucking fire, Asshole!” Lol!

@mjgreeny75 I have been away for the weekend so I won’t get back to the campaign until tonight at the earliest. I imagine there are more daylight sections but it definitely starts out with a lot of nighttime action.

I love the lighting. It’s brilliant. That, combined with the new destruction engine they have in there allowing some walls to be destroyed makes for a lot more immersive experience. I think they leaned into the night stuff because it really shows off the lighting they can create. Going into the bunkers to destroy the coastal guns was amazing flashlight stuff.

I read the single player portion is 5 hours long, not really long enough, think you would need to play some online as well at the current price.

Nobody is too old for multiplayer IMO. It’s the most casual of modes. Skill-based matchmaking will also help put you with players of your level.

It’s really easy to find a groove in these games’ muliplayer modes and enjoy a couple hours of target shooting. They also have a new system that lets you pick more or less chaotic game speed which is really cool.

Yeah, I think as long as you reconcile yourself to not being king of the heap–a realization I came to, oh, back in the Quake II days–online shooters can be really fun at any skill level. You have to pick modes and game types and stuff to align with your desired experience, but there are usually plenty of ways to have fun.

In the TV ad for this game, they say you get:
Campaign
Multiplayer
Zombies
and Warzone Pacific.

I know Warzone is free to play, so I assume you don’t actually get anything for Warzone for owning this game? Or do you get cosmetics or weapon unlocks or something?

Or not buy it at the current price… Would love to play it someday though.

I stopped playing multiplayer because of all the screaming kids in my headphone, combined with the frequent ‘dead while spawning, because of some annoying camper’ incidents. I doubt that has changed much, so no thanks!

You can mute other players easily. *shrug*

Oh I just do mute all. Sure I miss some actual tactical messages but unfortunately I totally prefer mute all that over the absolute crap that comes out of a lot of players mics.

It’s amazing how many of the crap spewers change their tune if you engage them with something witty or just act like they’re another human and not some weirdo. I don’t expect a lot of people to do that, but for the most part I can talk to almost anyone in these games.

Oh I agree, I see it in almost every MP game. For the most part, I don’t cave into it or just ignore the stupid stuff and stick with the tactics side. It’s mostly if it’s constant during the game itself where it’s either music blaring or constant crap that I cannot hear what’s around me is when I just go all out muting.

I’ve only started playing multiplayer in games again, but what amazes me about my recent sessions is just how much kids seem to need to constantly be talking, like they need to validate their existence by feeling the hum of their own throat at every moment. I’ve noticed that in my children too. Constantly talking, but not evaluating the worthiness of what they’re saying, because it’s already out of their mouth.

There’s a definite trend toward more chit chat than less. Many kids play these games with their bros as a way to “hang out” with each other. You have to figure too that the pandemic has a hand in that.

What’s probably odd to us, being older, is that we see it as a public space and for them it’s just their bedroom/basement/living room where the public happens to be invited inside too.

The world has changed a lot because of the Internet and I see this as just one more way it has done so.

It’s so easy to mute now tho, so as @whispa notes, when there’s music blaring or a crowded room on one microphone, I just hit X on that account and then comment to the rest of the room that I’m here for shootin’, not bumpin’.

Also, some of the funniest stuff comes from CoD chat, whether it’s death chat or between round hilarity in Search & Destroy, I’ve a had a few times I never laughed harder in my life at some of the antics. 😂

I listen to my son play Fortnite and he talks and talks and talks. I know exactly where it comes from. Streamers. Streamers that kids like to watch are yapping the whole time, very animated, short attention span theatre.

I hit the multiplayer hard last night. We played the big map blitz playlist they have going right now, some Patrol on various map sizes, and a few games of Search. For leveling guns, nothing beats the straight multiplayer modes. If you have some decent matches, you can often gain three or more levels on a weapon, thus unlocking more of those attachments.

Search & Destroy is so much gd fun with people who chat, and it can be so toxic, but if you just lean into the toxicity, it becomes even more amazingly fun. It’s also a mode with a bunch of spectating after you die, so if you are one of those folks who think they’re no good, just play some Search and watch how bad everyone else actually is at the game. One dude last night spent a good ten seconds trying to figure out how to bust down a wall. I was cracking up the whole time. 6v6 is the classic setup, but with them now allowing for Search in the big game modes, holy smoke does that add some fun to it.

Das Haus playlist is the one you want if you’re specifically interested in gun leveling as it’s Shipment levels of chaos so you’ll get lots of kills.

As for weapons, the meta is already taking shape online of course, but I found myself still really enjoying the StG44, which is among the best guns in the game. My pal Nate is hooked on the Automaton, which is the real-life Fedorov Avtomat Russian rifle.

No surprise it’s good in CoD as it was a Medic favorite in Battlefield 1 also.

Where I had a lot of really good fun toward the end of the night was using the Combat Shotgun on Das Haus. No surprise that it’s also the best one in the game…

Anyway, I haven’t even touched Champion Hill since the beta, and I already know I’ll enjoy that when I take some time for it. It’s an excellent rethink of the Gunfight mode from Modern Warfare.

Overall, if you still have a soft spot for WWII, this game is tremendous fun. There are so many maps that I haven’t even seen yet or just played one time. Some of them are damn good too. And again, them adding destructable locations in them really changes up how they play, especially on Search where you can create new paths or blow holes in stuff just to get an angle. Very good times.

lol!

I’ll have to stream it. I don’t think “lean into the toxicity” is necessarily the way I handle it, but I definitely don’t play quietly. I just laugh at the jokers, mute the people who use words I don’t want to hear, and try to be the last guy standing.

I’d say it’s a testosterone charged environment, but I’ve had women in matches who were way more toxic and uncouth than the dudes. It’s mostly harmless ribbing of people who are all trying not to suck too badly.

Watching this Royal Armory expert slowly die as he talks about each of Vanguard’s guns gives me life.

There’s a Triple Double weekend on right now if you’re playing Vanguard. This is absolutely the best time to level yourself and your guns. Double XP for everything.

Shipment is a quality update of the classic map. They put some wood surfaces on some of the crates so you have some new movement spaces to start the match but they eventually disintegrate as you play the round. It’s a great place to level your weapons although probably not snipers.

I played a bunch more Search & Destroy last night and it’s super fun in this game because the rounds seem faster than Modern Warfare but with the great feel of that game compared to Cold War. The higher player counts on some maps also add a lot to classic S&D gameplay.

Also, I did a solo Champion Hill the other night and that’s a really different gameplay experience from any of their other modes. Fighting while trying to hoard your lives is a really unique balancing act that you don’t typically get in most multiplayer games these days. It helps that the maps are all quality. There’s a heck of a lot to process while playing CH because you have to manage your finances too. Upgrade your current gun? Buy another? Get a Perk? Maybe you absolutely need a Patrol plane? It’s very cool.

Video games, man. You just can’t beat 'em.