Call of Duty: WW2 - 2017 Sledgehammer's return to CoD "roots"

We’ve seen rumors and leaked boxart, but Eurogamer now confirms that this year’s Call of Duty is set in World War 2.

[quote]
Developed by Sledgehammer Games, the studio behind 2014’s COD: Advanced Warfare, this new COD will be the first to venture back to the series’ World War roots since 2008’s World at War.

Images published on YouTube channel The Family Video Gamers last weekend showed logos and box art for “Call of Duty: WW2”. Eurogamer has since verified this does indeed relate to this year’s game.[/quote]

Meh. I’ll catch the next WW2 reboot in 2031.

I think people will be utterly shocked once they are shown footage and then suddenly remember how much graphics tech has advanced since the last major WWII shooter. The fact that the current consoles are so much more capable means that Sledgehammer has the opportunity to put out something truly spectacular.

I think their last game - Advanced Warfare - was among the top-three in the entire series, and I absolutely cannot wait to see what they do with this. Especially after what DICE Achieved with the Battlefield One campaign set in a similar-ish era. (Yes I know how different WWI and WWII are but still, they’re much more similar to each other than they are to Advanced/Infinite Warfare)

(Note: I couldn’t care less about the multiplayer in Call of Duty even if that’s what’s most popular for most. I’m purely talking about the campaign)

I’m actually pretty jazzed to see a really good singleplayer WW2 CoD campaign again. World at War was the last one, and you’re right that tech has improved quite a bit since then. As much as I love BF1, the much-lauded singleplayer didn’t really impress me other than as a stealthy tutorial for MP. I’m excited to see what Sledgehammer does.

Call of Twoty.

Pavlov’s house with 21st Century tech would still suck >:(

And there it is. The official Activision confirmation.

https://www.callofduty.com/be/nl/wwii

Here’s the reveal trailer:

Looks good.

Here’s what we know so far:

• Normal CoD map pack DLC and season pass. No Titanfall 2 plan here.
  • PS4 gets DLC 30 days before PC and Xbox
  • The campaign is primarily focused on Pvt. Ronald “Red” Daniels in the 1st Infantry Division, but there are “diverse” characters including a female Resistance fighter, a British soldier, a black US infantryman from a segregated unit, and a child(??).
  • The two campaign missions shown today were Hürtgen Forest (Band of Brothers fans should remember the artillery exploding in the treetops) and Omaha Beach.
  • There will be a Nazi Zombies mode
  • There is a co-op mode, but Sledgehammer wasn’t ready to talk about it
  • “Headquarters” (pictured below) is a lobby area and social space

OK, I have to admit, the Headquarters idea is pretty fitting for a WW2 setting as pictured there.

That’s what all the other WW2 games look like in my mind. Hopefully time for discounts on the space one :)

Yeah, I hope I don’t miss a good discount on the space one like I did with CoD: Ghosts. It was available for $5 on Black Friday at Best Buy, but I never got the chance to go over and grab it in time that day. Hopefully Infinite Infinite is $5 this Black Friday. Heck, I’ll take it for $10, since it has space fighter combat! :)

PR for E3:

[quote]
Call of Duty returns to its roots with the highly anticipated Call of Duty: WWII developed by Sledgehammer Games. E3 will offer hands-on with the game for the very first time, including a first look at Divisions, a fundamentally new way to focus on your multiplayer career. Players will join one of five iconic World War II Divisions, each with their own unique weapons and abilities.

Airborne: First to the fight, where you move fast and stay quiet
Mountain: Focusing on precise and deadly sharpshooting
Infantry: Be the tip of the spear
Armored: Bringing the heaviest firepower
Expeditionary Force: Packing heat with incendiary shells

In addition to the traditional Multiplayer, players will also be treated to the brand-new War Mode, developed in partnership with Raven Software. War Mode is an all-new game mode where players must work as a team to defeat the enemy. This narrative-driven Multiplayer experience immerses players in iconic World War II locations. Allied and Axis forces clash in team-driven assault and defend missions for key strategic objectives, bringing an entirely new dynamic to Call of Duty.

Players will also experience Headquarters, a franchise first, all new off-the-frontlines experience for Call of Duty fans. Players will compete, earn rewards, show off their accomplishments, and connect with friends. Unlike anything experienced in Call of Duty to date, Headquarters transforms the Multiplayer experience by redefining how players engage with the game and with each other.[/quote]

Direct-feed multiplayer:

Yes, some people are already angry at women US soldiers in multiplayer.

Hey, multiplayer War Mode gameplay looks awfully similar to a modernized RtCW: Enemy Territory. RtCW multiplayer is only the greatest MP ever created, so that would be a positive development!

Yup. I like what I’m seeing too, but this is CoD, so if the audience stays true to previous CoD games, you’ll only see this mode with like 5% of the population at any time. TDM and zombies is where CoD players live.

I guess you can just slap a silencer on an MP-40 now.

I have to admit that hearing women’s voices in the combat trailer during Sony’s presentation was a little jarring. The reality of World War II is not that.

I really doubt very much of a call of duty game is any kind of reality.

That’s exactly what they’ve been trading on since the beginning though. These games are based in reality and hew to realistic views of the evolution of historical, modern, and future warfare. I play them. They definitely want you to think you’re playing soldier for realz.