Call to Arms: Half Life 2 modding!

I think the original HL should be redone with updated textures, models and 2 player co-op. That’s just me though.

Hear hear. HL:Source needs a retrofit, stat.

While I totally agree that I would love a texture overhaul I’m still impressed with what HL: Source has to offer. I replayed the original game last year and had to spend time tweaking the graphics, finding acceptable sound settings (the original supported the now-defunct A3D), and using the console to adjust things like movement rate (way too fast on modern computers).

Booting HL: Source, on the other hand, was much nicer with the same interface used in HL2 and all of the same graphics settings. Sound is fantastic- the sound effects themselves haven’t changed but the environmental audio implemntation is much improved through Source. If I hadn’t replayed it so recently I would sorely be tempted for another run through.

HL2 is sorely lacking both a team based deathmatch mode and also a co-op mode. Something similar to Sven’s or CTF would go a long way in my book… you could have realistic physics for your grappling hook!

Excellent ideas. I’ve begun posting concepts for perusal in my site’s forums, if anyone is interested.

I’m leaning towards an ostensibly simple modification first, possibly to be followed by more ambitious projects. I didn’t actually realize that the “full” version of the SDK has not yet been released, and the current build seems to only support fiddling with CS: Source assets. Hopefully the rest of the SDK will be made available soon. Till then, hopefully we’ll be hammering out content.

Everyone who’s expressed an interest in the project so far should have recieved a Private Message from me. If you haven’t heard from me, go ahead and shoot me an email.

What about a super-hero mod? The internet is totally crawling with comic book dorks, yet all we get is CoH and Freedom Force?

My suggestion would be to totally rip off the best parts of CoH(customizable character templates) and Jedi Outcast(easy point-n-click power customization, selectable 1st/3rd person view) and get down for some Havok-powered tank punching and uprooted-telephone pole baseball.

The gameplay could be straight up free for all(Secret Wars!), Team Death Match(JLAvsLOD!) or team objective based(save/destroy Landmark X!). There would have to be innocent bystanders, maybe to award Hero points or something for saving them, but mostly just to suffer.

Maybe trying to fit in all the best or most requested powers would be troublesome, not to mention the huge headache of balancing them, but this was the first thought that occurred to me after beating HL2.

Oh man, awesome idea. I like the superhero idea.

Almost every set in HL2 so far has reminded me of some movie it could do a great job emulating as well though. Nova Prospeckt? “Welcome to The Rock!” A couple of the alleys in the very begining walk around City 17 left me expecting a Burly Brawl to break out, Night of the Living Ravenholm? Check. Mad Max, the Dune Buggy Warrior? Check. There are a million and one inspirations for things we could do.

Superheroes definitely sound great though.

Check this set of blog entries, discussing building a mod off the Unreal 2 engine. From the guy who did ‘Bow, Nigger’.

http://www.alwaysblack.com/blackjack/foolsrushin-1.html

• Actually designed and shipped a title (Dungeon Siege expansion pack) - levels, items, quests, dialog, etc.
  • Semi-pro musician/sound designer
  • Me write goodly

Let me know what I can do. I have a feeling the hardest part is using the level editor…

You’d be right. Hammer is shit.

How about a semi remake of Rollerball? The cool seventies one rather than the lame update, obviously. I’m thinking huge steel balls, death traps, gravity guns, scoring… Also has the advantage that it wouldn’t need too much tweaking to the engine or mapmaking so we could concentrate on the gameplay.